Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would piercings and/or unnatural hair colours jeopardise a place in med school? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it's important to appear professional and make patients comfortable with you, so to what extent do you think you can you get away with piercings and unnatural hair colours etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiecat)
    I understand that it's important to appear professional and make patients comfortable with you, so to what extent do you think you can you get away with piercings and unnatural hair colours etc?
    There is a girl in my year who has the craziest hair I have ever seen. It varies between fluorescent green, orange, purple etc and she has gone to wards for three years without anyone caring.

There will be variation between unis, trusts and individual healthcare workers. Some will consider it inappropriate, some won't. Even if it is technically allowed, you should be prepared to be challenged.

ReputationRep:
    I know hair colours don't matter too much, as for piercings I would assume it depends on where they are, and how outrageous

ReputationRep:
    We live in a society where people (even unwillingly) judge a lot about someone from first meeting them - if you are going for interviews I would certainly suggest not having random hair colours and piercings on show (apart from ears). It is easy to insuate many things. E.G.

- piercings; show you put yourself through unnecessary pain just for the 'look' it gives you.. not really a quality of a doctor
    - crazy hair color; may insinuate that you don't care what other people think.. but as a doctor you will need to care about what your patients think
    - piercings; not really deemed to be a 'serious' person when you have piercings all over your face, especially that one between the nostrels
    - crazy hair color; your trying to express your personality... but a doctor isn't expected to have a super out there over confident personality

Don't get me wrong, I actually think many of these qualities can be taken in a good way, but for a med school interview, it's most likely they won't.

ReputationRep:
    If you look professional then it shouldn't matter.

Clearly it's quite difficult to look professional whilst sporting a mohican or multiple lip piercings, but that's quite an extreme example. So long as your piercing/hair colour isn't totally inappropriate and is fairly discreet I shouldn't think you'd encounter any problems.

ReputationRep:
    There's a big difference between what the medical school think of coloured hair and piercings, and what your 90 year old patients might think of you - they grew up in a time where the doctor always wore a tie and carried a leather bag, nevermind had pink hair and multiple facial studs... Their idea of looking professional is probably going to differ from yours.

Saying that, I don't think most piercings really stand out any more. The majority of girls in my ward group have more than just a pair of lobe piercings - you'd get away with nose, tragus, helix etc. Eyebrow, lip, and any kind of stretched lobe might be pushing it a bit more.

Just be aware that there might be patients who eye you a bit oddly for looking unconventional, and might be slightly more reluctant to engage with you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at med school and had red hair on my first semester, also I have 11 piercings and one tattoo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was a medical student from oxford university on university challenge who looked like Russell Brand :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have bright red hair, nose piercing and multiple piercings in my ears, and intend to keep them all when I start working this August.
    No one has ever mentioned my piercings and I've had nothing but compliments about my hair from patients of all ages from all walks of life... You might be the only person that talks to the old person that day, and if you are I guarantee they won't care what you look like as long as you have manners and have time for them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.