Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am currently a second year student and who in non term time lives with my parents (as I assume most do). It has came up recently that this summer however I might be moving into my grandparents spare room rather than coming back to my parents house and will stay there for the rest of the time I am in my home town (easter, christmas, if I move back before finding a place of my own). Mostly so the space I would be in can be used for other things there has been no big falling out or anything.

My question is will this affect my student finance for my third year? Do I change my home address on student finance? Do I put down my grandparents as "supporting me" instead of my parents. In reality my parents do send me a smallish (but very gratefully received) amount of financial support and this wouldn't actually change if I lived in my grandparents house instead of theirs so do I still put them as supporting me?

Obviously if I am being honest I would like to hear that I just change it all over to my grandparents who live off only their state pension and I would get full student finance. I don't however want to be trying to claim something I wont actually be entitled to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's based on your parents income and not that of any other relative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    hi, I am currently a second year student and who in non term time lives with my parents (as I assume most do). It has came up recently that this summer however I might be moving into my grandparents spare room rather than coming back to my parents house and will stay there for the rest of the time I am in my home town (easter, christmas, if I move back before finding a place of my own). Mostly so the space I would be in can be used for other things there has been no big falling out or anything.

My question is will this affect my student finance for my third year? Do I change my home address on student finance? Do I put down my grandparents as "supporting me" instead of my parents. In reality my parents do send me a smallish (but very gratefully received) amount of financial support and this wouldn't actually change if I lived in my grandparents house instead of theirs so do I still put them as supporting me?

Obviously if I am being honest I would like to hear that I just change it all over to my grandparents who live off only their state pension and I would get full student finance. I don't however want to be trying to claim something I wont actually be entitled to.
    no, unless your self supporting or estranged from your parents (which you said you arent) student finance always looks at their income no matter which relative you live with

ReputationRep:
    ok thank you . If I live with my grandparents would I be expected to put them aswell or just my parents?

ReputationRep:
    As Jelly1000 said, Student Finance will still include your parent income, only thing that can prevent this is if you are estranged from parents (Care leavers/foyerleavers) Also in order to prove this you need a letter from Social services/Support worker.

Edit; Just your parents

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.