Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Worried about the demand for sex Watch

I'm a girl in my first year at uni who is a virgin. I've gained more confidence and have been talking to lots of guys and kissing in clubs etc. I would really like a boyfriend and have been getting interest but I'm not confident in myself for sex just yet. And being 18 nearly 19 with the majority of males being sexually active I'm worried that it would be 'expected' fairly soon into a relationship. I want to lose a bit of weight first and feel comfortable.

Anyone else felt like this? How do I get over this?

I'm going to uni next year and I understand what you're feeling.
    Take your time and don't rush into anything - try not to be overwhelmed by social expectations. Yeah, so most uni students have had sex, but lots haven't.
    I'd wait until you're in a good relationship with a guy that you really like and that you trust - he should understand and respect your wishes. Any guy that doesn't, isn't worth being with.

Stand your ground, and just do it when you're ready.

Go at your own pace and whatever feels comfortable. If you enter a relationship and the guy isn't patient and doesn't understand your reasons for not wanting to have sex straight away then he isn't worth being in a relationship with. The right guy will come along! It can be hard to deal with social pressure and I understand worrying over the fact that potential guys you might date may have lots of sexual experience and expect it, but at the end of the day, if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't right.

ReputationRep:
    They never told me this in sex education either: you can make your own mind up. I find that if you want to, there tend to be opportunities to bring this up with future partners. If not, just stay out the bedroom

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.