Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been 18 long so when I don't get ID'd I'm a bit shocked because I always believed I looked quite young but at the same time I'm like "Yes, don't have to show ID!" But when I do get ID'd it still has a bit of the novelty factor about it so I'm like "Yes you can see my ID you lovely person "

Only time it was annoying was when I forgot all my ID at uni (never needed it for anything so I don't carry it around) and went home for my birthday. To be honest, I don't mind that I couldn't go out for my birthday, but they wouldn't sell me a new phone because they needed ID for me to get a contract, which financially makes more sense for me to get. I understand why they needed to do it but it was annoying. My mum sent me to the local shop once for superglue, tried putting it through the till and it didn't work, lady came over to help and she was like "Have you got any ID?" I had a bus pass or something, I think I was about 15 or so, she gave me the filthiest look. How in the world was I meant to know that you needed to be 16 to buy superglue? Whoever tells you that? I didn't mind being asked for ID, it was her reaction, there was no need to treat me like I'd done something wrong. Horrid woman. Also irritating with lottery tickets, I got there, tried to pay for it, they asked for ID, I was certain it was in my pocket, checked, realised it wasn't and the lady was so rude. There was really no need, it was an honest mistake, if I was trying to wheedle my way out, fine, but I don't appreciate that to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What an awful story! Nobody likes being ID'd but there is nothing wrong with it!

In fact, I was asked for ID when buying a 15 rated dvd in sainsbury! I am two months off turning 20 and he look on the woman's face behind the chachier was priceless! We then had a laugh about it and moved on. Apparently I didn't look old enough although it was 1030 at night and my car was parked just outside! Silly circumstances but you might as well laugh about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Constantly getting ID'd wherever I go (wrong end of 20).

It happens, I'm just grateful I don't look old

ReputationRep:
    It could be worse, I haven't been ID'd the last ten or fifteen times I bought alcohol.
    I'M 22 :'( DO I REALLY LOOK THAT OLD?

ReputationRep:
    I get very bemused when I'm ID'ed. Especially when it's for things like a 7+ computer game, a PG DVD, pregnancy test (don't know why my age mattered). I was shocked when I got ID'ed for a lottery ticket because the person serving me was the mother of one of my old school friends so knew exactly how hold I was. Also I don't look under 25 never mind under 16.

I did once witness an old man with a zimmer frame being ID'ed while trying to buy a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. They wouldn't accept his bus pass so I ended up buying him a bottle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomd_love)
    That's nothing I had the misfortune of having to get a new passport just after I finished chemo - needless to say I look rather different bald than I do now with a massive Afro.

I've even had immigration refuse me entry into the country on the basis that I didn't look like my picture. The only good that came out of that whole fiasco was that the border agenecy gave me a form to fill out to get a free new one.
    Can't complain at a free passport mind!! They're like £72!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    Although this has reminded me of the time I was ID'd for GLOWSTICKS.
    Argh, you just reminded me when you wrote this. I got IDed for glowsticks in wilkos once. I was mortified. To make matters worse, the woman looked at my ID then said 'Sorry I can't serve you, you're not 18' when I was. I was stood there arguing with her for ages, forming a massive que. Eventually I stood infront of her and counted the years on my fingers to prove I was. I think she felt a bit stupid, but she deserved it, if you have a Challenge policy in place then atleast know the correct dates and don't make me feel like a complete idiot infront of everyone in the shop.

(Original post by Habibul Bashar)
    But, to get ID'd is kind of belittling and makes people feel like they're being treated like a child. Also, it's kind of annoying as a customer for someone to demand a document from you just so you buy some beer. But, the law is the law.
    I have no problem whatsoever being IDed, I know cashiers are just being safe and covering their own back, as do I working in a pub. But you know what really annoys me? When once they look at it (after staring at it for ages, as though they think it's a fake) laughing in my face, and being all patronized saying 'oh my God, I don't think you look a day over 12/13/14' Being in my 20's I feel very insulted, and they seem to do it at the top of their voice so everyone else can hear and laugh too. Yes, I look young, yes I expect to get IDed, but DO NOT speak to me like I am a child and don't patronize me.
    Next time someone does this, I swear I'm gonna make a complaint against them, it's extremely humiliating and belittling

ReputationRep:
    I get irritated because staff just look at your face and think 'Yep, underage', and don't take into account how you're conducting yourself, or the fact that you're buying a single bottle of wine in a week's food shopping. I have a youngish face but I'm clearly in my mid-twenties, so yeah, I get frustrated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20, soon to be 21 but I admit, I do look about 16 so I always expect to get ID'd and I'm usually standing in the queue with my ID in my hand ready to show it before they even ask for it!

It doesn't bother me getting ID'd but what does annoy me is if they accuse my provisional of being fake because my picture is of me when I had a shoulder length brown hair and now I have long ginger hair. I get at a first glance it might not look like me but if you have a look for more than 3 seconds you can tell its still me, my face hasn't changed a bit. I hate when they don't believe its me in my provisional and they ask for more ID and the only other things I have is my bank card and student cards.

I'm applying for my first passport atm since I'm going away so once that comes in I will use that as my default ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Either that's a typo or this is a serious wtf moment.
    Yeah, when it happened this exchange happened:

cashier: 'can I see your ID please?'
    me: 'what? why?'
    cashier: 'the checkout is asking for your ID for these chocolates'
    me: 'but they're not alcoholic'
    cashier: checks packet 'oh yeah, that's weird, I'll get the manager'.
    me: 'don't worry, I'm 23 and I've got ID anyway which will be quicker' and then I just handed over my ID.

Caused a bit of hilarity/confusion in the shop. It turned out that they'd had two flavours of this chocolate on the same barcode. The one I was buying was strawberry flavoured but the other was brandy. Strange moment but there you go. Goes to show that you may as well always carry around ID all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Got that off your chest? Or wanna keep going?

ReputationRep:
    people don't tend to like it when I ID them. Mostly the reaction is "your about 12 you can't ID me" "are you even old enough to do this job" ect.

I'm 20 by the way I can't help it if I look young, and because of that I always have idea so so should they,

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I think it was the sheer embarrassment of being asked to produce her ID, as well as having some form of mental issue. No normal person would flip out by being asked ID, If they didn't have something wrong upstairs. I could be totally wrong, but it's what I think.

I'm glad you dealt with it as good as you did. Some Staff even swear back as they have no self control. Good job!

ReputationRep:
    On my first day on the shop floor a woman who was clearly like 40+ tried to buy alcohol at my desk (the CLOTHING department haha) and my supervisor told me to practice IDing so I did... she didn't have any ID and then the mother (who must've been like 60 or 70) said she'd buy it for her. That is also against the law in that sitch so I had to refuse her too! They were quite good about it and seemed more miffed they'd forgotten any ID rather than not being served.

ReputationRep:
    I just slap 'em when they ask me for ID and walk out with the product
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I once got id'd for cutlery and had no id on me. The cashier explained that it's company policy, because it has knives, etc.

I'm not too fussed about being id'd and have been told to take it as a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    if i was being ID'd for alcohol i wouldn't mind, but being 18 and being asked for ID for a film that's a 15 is just an insult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that
    I also work in a shop and get so many customers who have a go at you for IDing. Mostly I get 'call the manager, I've been served before', but our policy is that we ID every single time, no matter whether we've seen it before. When I do in fact call the manager, they back me up anyway and then I stand there with a smug look on my face and say 'bye, have a good day' to the customer.
    The way I look at it, I'd rather Mr X didn't get his beer/**** rather than I get in trouble for serving without ID. Also, don't want to get caught out by the mystery shopper who comes every 3/4 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    The law is very strict with underage smoking and so on and at the same time very flawed.
    Age-related smoking laws are actually very relaxed.

You can buy and smoke cigarettes at pretty much any age. The only laws on tobacco concern the sale of them, so it's only the seller that gets it in the neck.

It's an offence to try and purchase alcohol underage, to successfully purchase it, and there are laws concerning consumption; that's not true of smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetestwave)
    Never knew that. I did try to google it, but got a lot of conflicting answers

Can't be very strict in general, considering I've been buying energy drinks regularly since the age of 12(not usually from a local corner shop or anything either) and I didn't even know that I wasn't supposed to.
    There is no age limit. I work in one of the strictest supermarket chains (won't name) who has ID on EVERYTHING! But there is absolutely nothing on energy drinks. No limits.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.