Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is this stupid idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this a stupid idea? Im 17, I learn to trade stocks and try and get an income?

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite get what the idea is exactly...do you want to learn to trade stocks do you mean?

If that's the case then I don't think so but its a risky thing to go into when you're so young and have little money to play with, just don't gamble more than you can afford to lose!

ReputationRep:
    It's not a stupid idea, but it's very risky - I've had some experience doing it with my dad on two occasions.

The first time round I actually made profit on my investment - beginners luck I presume.
    The second time round I lost all the profit I had made the first time round!

So it's a game of swings and roundabouts - it's good for experience but it can go horrifically wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose it makes sense to at least learn when you're younger; gives you more experience for when you have more cash to invest.

Whether you actually invest is your call. Take things slowly if you do, but it can be quite rewarding if you engage with your investments well e.g. voting at board meetings, visiting businesses, etc.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.