Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, next year i will hopefully be studying in Falmouth. I can't wait as i have visited and love it!! I have found my way around finding the good places to eat/live. I was just wondering if anyone knows the place as i have a few questions

1) Where is the best place (besides the student union) is best for a drink. Im not talking about on a night out. Just where in Falmouth is a student pub?

2) How often is it warm enough to go in the sea?

3) Are the locals nice?

Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    All of the pubs are student pubs. Best pub is Beerwolf or Jacob's Ladder. Grapes Inn and Kings Head come close joint third.

Warm enough to go in the sea all year round. As long as you're a fish.

'The locals' are nicer than I've found in lots of places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    All of the pubs are student pubs. Best pub is Beerwolf or Jacob's Ladder. Grapes Inn and Kings Head come close joint third.

Warm enough to go in the sea all year round. As long as you're a fish.

'The locals' are nicer than I've found in lots of places.
    I'm also going to probably be studying in Falmouth next year... hows the nightlife? I heard its mostly bars... but are there any good clubs or venues? Also, I heard for shopping you have to go to Truro? Thaanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claucsb)
    I'm also going to probably be studying in Falmouth next year... hows the nightlife? I heard its mostly bars... but are there any good clubs or venues? Also, I heard for shopping you have to go to Truro? Thaanks!
    I think there's 2 or 3 clubs and plenty of bars and pubs, but I'd like to know more about this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claucsb)
    At the moment, there's 1 'club' in Falmouth - Club I. There's tonnes of bars and pubs, as well as the rugby club and 'Inc' which both do music nights. Watermans does some pretty good dub, drum n bass etc. Falmouth isn't a large uni city, nor does it have clubs like somewhere like Loughborough, but it has pubs in abundance.

The Stannary, Tremough campus' refectory and bar, puts on regular events, including most of the big Fresher's events, and these tend to be pretty big. DJs such as Annie Mac have been down both years that I've been a student here, and I imagine will be coming back in the future.

There are shops in Falmouth, but to do anything big, I would imagine Truro to be your best bet. Most people shop online though, because it's so much easier, especially with free delivery on most sites. Truro does have a Waterstones, Debenhams etc, and Falmouth has all the necessities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    DJs such as Annie Mac have been down both years that I've been a student here, and I imagine will be coming back in the future
    I hope she does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty1234567891)
    Hi, next year i will hopefully be studying in Falmouth. I can't wait as i have visited and love it!! I have found my way around finding the good places to eat/live. I was just wondering if anyone knows the place as i have a few questions

1) Where is the best place (besides the student union) is best for a drink. Im not talking about on a night out. Just where in Falmouth is a student pub?

2) How often is it warm enough to go in the sea?

3) Are the locals nice?

Any help would be appreciated
    There are SO many pubs in Cornwall, prices are all way cheaper than up country too! There's also some nicer/smarter establishments that do happy hours/2for1 cocktails etc with some lovely scenic views. At the moment there is The Stannery (on campus which has held some pretty decent event nights which non uni students attend), Clubi (cheesey club which you will no doubt fall in love with- cheap drinks, chart music, and carpet), Mango Tangos (bit smarter, houses Love Riot DJ events quite often, serves a monster fry up also), Watermans (cheap student pub by the water, DnB music, sort of the pre-drink area), Mama Africa (african themed, cool but its no clubi).. there was a club on the moor the other end of falmouth near wetherspoons called Remedies (RIP Rems) which has been rumoured to be brought and opening refurbed and new as some cool london style club (but we're not getting our hopes up!). The Shed on events square have 2for1 cocktails on mondays which are much better than the pitchers at wetherspoons (which has no music, weird place), Eight Bar (also on the Moor, very small bar, never busy, good posh cocktails!), Q Bar (opposite wethspoonts on the Moor, has a random acid trip house party vibe, teeny bar so good luck getting served quickly on student night, decent cocktails though), Toast which is further up the high street (near Clubi/Mangos/Watermans etc, good size bar, okay drinks, rarely a buzzing atmosphere), Grapes Inn (good student friendly pub near Watermans), Five Degrees West/Below (cosy pub in the winter, good music, good grub, in 'Below' often has music events), Chainlocker (another student friendly pub, outside seating near the water, quite cramped often with lots of locals)...just never go to The Cutty Sark (a pub along from 5 Degrees), its kind of a scary locals only that as a local I wouldn't even venture in.
    And yes locals are usually friendly! It's Cornwall the worst you'll get is someone shouting EMIT at you because they think you're a 'stupid tourist'..and that rarely happens unless you're driving 20mph on a 40mph road. It's not hard to fit in here, I'm originally from Southampton and have lived here for 10 years now, just spent a year living in London and its honestly the friendliest prettiest place to live! I don't even feel the slightest bit weary when walking around alone at night, it's a doddle down ere.
    Uni is what you make of it at the end of the day..and you're gonna be having way too many beers on the beach to even care that there's not a huge London-style club on your door step..
    Hope this all helps! I'm considering going to Falmouth uni this autumn after my degree in London got cancelled, so hopefully see you around!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi-

looks like you've had some great answers so far- just to add:

1. If you live in Halls near Penryn it's worth checking out The Thirsty Scholar (good food +quiz nights), Number 20 (nice bar with cocktail deals) and Miss Peapods (live music venue/cafe that's open late some nights). There's a few other pubs in Penryn: The Seven Stars (has a cat/live music), The Kings Arms and The Famous Barrel. Also the local brewery (Rebel Brewery) are based in Penryn and are a good place to get cheap beer from if you take your own container

2. It's not just fish that swim in the sea all year round- there's a sea swimming society that goes in (without wetsuits) once a week, all year round (they warm up with hot chocolate afterwards): http://www.fxu.org.uk/seaswimming I've got friends that swim year round, but I tend to swim May-Oct, but this year it's still be too cold for me

3. The locals are generally really nice- coming from Bristol I was surprised at how friendly people in (most)shops were. I came as a mature MA student so maybe wasn't exposed to what it's like to be a young student here, but it feels safer and friendlier than anywhere else i've ever lived.

Hope that helps!

Camilla

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.