Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

What can I do for my Volunteering Section of my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently doing my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, and I'm stumped for ideas for the volunteering section.
    I was wondering if I could take part in sponsored events such as The Race For Life, doing it twice over the two years, as well as doing some fundraising in between for it. Do you think that would count for my volunteering section, or could you think of anything else that I could possibly do in substitute? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Google 'vitalise' it's Residential volunteering for a week working with disabled people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonCooper_96)
    Hi,

I'm currently doing my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, and I'm stumped for ideas for the volunteering section.
    I was wondering if I could take part in sponsored events such as The Race For Life, doing it twice over the two years, as well as doing some fundraising in between for it. Do you think that would count for my volunteering section, or could you think of anything else that I could possibly do in substitute? Thank you.
    You can volunteer with girlguiding or scouting- at your local rainbow/brownie/guides or cubs/beavers/scouts group.
    I know the young leader at the brownie group that i am a leader at came and volunteered at the group while doing her duke of Edinburgh award. She enjoyed it so much that she stayed and is still a young leader.

ReputationRep:
    The Race for Life is a good idea - training, getting fit, raising the sponsorship and doing the event itself. And the helping out with guides/brownies - they will really welcome you committing some regular time. Also look at some charity websites and see what sorts of other volunteering might be available. There is obvious stuff like helping in a charity shop, but lots of charities also need help with admin tasks (especially in the run up to big events) or logistics like packing, sorting or fundraising.

Could you sell poppies for the British Legion? Clean/feed animals/dog walk at the RSPCA? Do something for the National Trust/your local museum? There are heaps of jobs out there. If you google 'volunteer' and the name of your local town/area, you'll get lots of ideas/contacts to email. Some may only be available to 18+, in which case phone up the charity and ask what you *could* do for them.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.