Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How many hours are you revising each day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kendellex)
    I like biology(: hate organic chemistry though. Find it pointless!
    You'll do fine in history! It'll come!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love all my subjects but hate organic chem also lol. Too much different topics in one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnthehuman)
    I love all my subjects but hate organic chem also lol. Too much different topics in one!
    My teacher is horrific and it's all so similar!
    That's the one paper I always do awful in!
    Oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those people who do worse with revision somehow :/
    Revised constantly for chemistry. Got a B.
    Revised for 5 minutes for geography. Got an A.
    Weird :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is impressive. I do Geography and I really am struggling with big essay questions. You are very lucky

ReputationRep:
    Essays are awful :P
    I have loads in geography and it takes ages to perfect them!!
    What do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did you do your essays in Geography at AS level?? Any tips would be gratefully received.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chatty)
    How did you do your essays in Geography at AS level?? Any tips would be gratefully received.
    Structure is really important.
    So always have a distinct introduction and conclusion.

In my introduction I always briefly say want I'm going to talk about in my main body of my essay. Also throw any definitions of geographical terms in here too.

In my conclusion, I always refer back to the question! If the question asks you to evaluate, this is the point at which you say if it's good/bad/whatever.

The main body takes a bit if practise. I depends on the essay on how you tackle this. If it's say 'The impacts of a named hurricane on people, the economy and the environment' I would obviously separate my main body into three paragraphs under those three headings. If it's something like 'Describe how a hurricane forms and it's impacts on people' I would have one paragraph explaining how it forms and one paragraph on impacts. In essays were it is possible to throw in a diagram like hurricanes, plate boundaries, depressions and ecosystems - throw the diagram in! You will get marks and it is then essay to describe the formation as you can refer to the diagram!

Avoid using terms like firstly, secondly, also, next, then etc. Its poor writing. Also when giving examples never say 'etc' It implies there are more but you don't know them :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My teacher is horrific and it's all so similar!
    That's the one paper I always do awful in!
    Oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh well. I actually like Chemistry thought, but yeah, my teacher also mulls over a ton of things lol. What career you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    Oh well. I actually like Chemistry thought, but yeah, my teacher also mulls over a ton of things lol. What career you aiming for?
    No idea. I've applied for natural science :P

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No idea. I've applied for natural science :P

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Going for medicine but I am far from being a good candidate for it lol

ReputationRep:
    Going for medicine but I am far from being a good candidate for it lol
    I was going to go for medicine but then my love for geography over took and changed my mind :L
    Do you do any sort of activity outside school like St. John ambulance or volunteering. They love that sort of stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go for medicine but then my love for geography over took and changed my mind :L
    Do you do any sort of activity outside school like St. John ambulance or volunteering. They love that sort of stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I am doing volunteering but can't some to find a hospital

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am doing volunteering but can't some to find a hospital
    Email them. Just try your luck! Some places make you apply via your school and 'bid' for a time slot.
    If you can't work in a hospital try a hospice of nursing home!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Email them. Just try your luck! Some places make you apply via your school and 'bid' for a time slot.
    If you can't work in a hospital try a hospice of nursing home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hehe thanks for the tips. Because I got no A* but all As, the teachers don't want to help me apply because I am a 'too weak' candidate lol. I will keep trying thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Hehe thanks for the tips. Because I got no A* but all As, the teachers don't want to help me apply because I am a 'too weak' candidate lol. I will keep trying thanks for the help
    That's a tad rude!
    I know people who got all A's but they did a lot of volunteering and seemed to be a well rounded person because they got the offers and not the ones with all the A*s!
    Ace your UKCAT and do well in your Alevels and you'll be fine (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You really think that?
    Chemistry is hard but maths is quite easy compared to geography.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Uh huh anyone with a decent memory can easily do well in geography, it's 90/120 for 100 UMS in the exam at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    Uh huh anyone with a decent memory can easily do well in geography, it's 90/120 for 100 UMS in the exam at AS
    AS is definitely a lot easier than A2.
    What board are you doing? Our paper was only out of 90 (:
    But maths is still easier :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's a tad rude!
    I know people who got all A's but they did a lot of volunteering and seemed to be a well rounded person because they got the offers and not the ones with all the A*s!
    Ace your UKCAT and do well in your Alevels and you'll be fine (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, that's my plan. Just my school being a little bit b**chy about it. I am to do loads of volunteering soon. Thanks, hope you get/got your offer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's my plan. Just my school being a little bit b**chy about it. I am to do loads of volunteering soon. Thanks, hope you get/got your offer
    Maybe even joining St a John Ambulance! I love it and you get trained for free
    I got an offer and firmed for Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Structure is really important.
    So always have a distinct introduction and conclusion.

In my introduction I always briefly say want I'm going to talk about in my main body of my essay. Also throw any definitions of geographical terms in here too.

In my conclusion, I always refer back to the question! If the question asks you to evaluate, this is the point at which you say if it's good/bad/whatever.

The main body takes a bit if practise. I depends on the essay on how you tackle this. If it's say 'The impacts of a named hurricane on people, the economy and the environment' I would obviously separate my main body into three paragraphs under those three headings. If it's something like 'Describe how a hurricane forms and it's impacts on people' I would have one paragraph explaining how it forms and one paragraph on impacts. In essays were it is possible to throw in a diagram like hurricanes, plate boundaries, depressions and ecosystems - throw the diagram in! You will get marks and it is then essay to describe the formation as you can refer to the diagram!

Avoid using terms like firstly, secondly, also, next, then etc. Its poor writing. Also when giving examples never say 'etc' It implies there are more but you don't know them :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at AS level this year finding it really hard to gauge how much work needs to be done? Found GCSEs rather stress-free and easy to plan for, but this year I'm persistently perplexed as to whether or not I am working hard enough or on track to get the grades which I want despite the material proving easily manageable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livealittle)
    Does anybody else find it easier to revise very early in the morning? Or is it just me.
    I've realised my brain works better at around 2am.Any other time is so hard to concentrate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did this for my AS exams, I think it because everyone's asleep so I feel calmer and more relaxed to revise at such crazy times, I've revised until 4am many times and slept straight after school then get up at 8 and do it again.. can't comment whether it's a good revision ratio or not but I have not failed an exam even if I have done little revision

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.