The Student Room Group

How many hours are you revising each day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
I would say I revise around 8 hours a day: this is mostly set by my ten-week topic-specific targets for each subject:

I have eleven exams thus I have no choice but to be organised and thoroughly committed.

Past papers are the main source of revision, with cross-references to the specification and notes.

That's all!

Spanish is the longest; essays are the major thing I think I need to work on.
I would say I speak it every day, but I try to write an essay every two days. :biggrin:

How is everyone sticking to their timetables or targets? :smile:
(Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1061
Original post by Jatz07
anyone want to do an all night rev. with me tonight? At least I'll feel more motivated...

What subjects do you study? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alwaysalex
Ohhh I'm a little jealous- I really wanted to take English lit but my school only offered lit and land which I wasn't so keen on. I'm taking AS Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Economics and Business, so I have 11 exams between the 6th of May and 10th of June! It's strange how yours are so much later than mine. Really starting to freak out as I'm going away for two weeks and won't have much time at all to revise then.

Which exam board for Economics and Business, Edexcel?
Reply 1063
Original post by Jatz07
Bio, Chem, History and Maths :biggrin:

OMG,

From what my friends say and the way the carry on, History and the Sciences just stress an individual to the max!

Aha!
(Chemistry/History are statistically the hardest A levels based on work load... So, you kill it!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1064
Original post by Jatz07
Ah History is so much content! I like memorizing History though and writing essays for it... :smile: but it takes ages!

Change of plan, I'm going to start at 12am :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJ1FZKwI7c
^Watch this, from 0.20, and watch it all, seriously it's very motivational,

Jatz

Just as I thought I couldn't be motivated anymore, this comes along and blows my mind...
I guess we're definitely limitless.
Bring on the grades, GY, Medicine offers and all beyond that! :and
Good luck to all of you that care about your futures; you'll go far... :wink::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
none exams are in like a month and a bit what are you all worrying about :P
Reply 1066
Original post by wildleaves
none exams are in like a month and a bit what are you all worrying about :P

I've conducted some analysis and it looks like - in respect to A Level Sciences and Maths - June 2014 can be a year full of tricks... Anyway, the point lies with that fact that you can never be sure that you know absolutely everything alongside all content for all of your examinations this series!
You may be different though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saaay
You're lucky you didn't take English lit, it is so hard at a2, so much quotes to memorise!:frown: It's because a2 exams starts later, but we stay in school for longer. Maybe revise on the journey there? Or get up early for revision time? Either way don't panic and enjoy your holiday!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with all those quotes! I probably would have dropped it after AS though. Knowing my dad, we'll probably not be doing anything until quite late in the morning, so I'm going to try and get a couple hours in in the mornings.
Original post by RSmith1007
Which exam board for Economics and Business, Edexcel?

Yep, I think they're the only one that offer it, aren't they? Which is a bit of a shame as it means there aren't many resources out there for it. Not even a textbook.
Original post by alwaysalex
Yep, I think they're the only one that offer it, aren't they? Which is a bit of a shame as it means there aren't many resources out there for it. Not even a textbook.

Yeah it's not good :frown:, how are you revising for unit 4b btw because I'm unsure as to how to practice my exam technique when it is a case study unit for this particular year and it changes every year.
Original post by RSmith1007
Yeah it's not good :frown:, how are you revising for unit 4b btw because I'm unsure as to how to practice my exam technique when it is a case study unit for this particular year and it changes every year.

I'm doing AS so am doing units 1 and 2b this year - sorry, I wish I could be of more help!
There's just one month to go, after that is a big long rest, so may as well spend most of the days until the end revising. I originally was just reading textbooks up until now, now is the time to start using good resources and reading stuff over and over again, then doing past papers.

For sciences, Chemistry at least, people who have attempted to read things over and memorise it like normal seem to have failed, so other than understanding what you're reading, the trick is short term memory and knowing how to answer questions. When a question is asking me what group 7 element creates a certain colour precipitate or vapour, that's not testing my application of knowledge, it's testing my memory and how I word the answer. It's BS, but you have to revise to those requirements.

Bit i might consider Chemistry a dud. I don't know how I've done in Physics, but Chemistry ISA was poor and it's not clicking, and it's an AS subject, and it's a morale sucker, so it's going right to the bottom of my list of priorities
I'm taking AS Edexcel Chem, Phys, and Math. Im doing Units 2 and 3 for Phy and Chem, C12 and M1 for maths. I already did Units 1 for Phy and Chem in Jan, and got 2 A's. The way I'd revise is Spend 2-4 Hours in the Library, writing out notes or solving papers. And that seemed enough for me. :biggrin: Missed a full mark in Chem b just 6 Marks -_- x'D
Reply 1073
Original post by Fayadh56
I'm taking AS Edexcel Chem, Phys, and Math. Im doing Units 2 and 3 for Phy and Chem, C12 and M1 for maths. I already did Units 1 for Phy and Chem in Jan, and got 2 A's. The way I'd revise is Spend 2-4 Hours in the Library, writing out notes or solving papers. And that seemed enough for me. :biggrin: Missed a full mark in Chem b just 6 Marks -_- x'D

Wow those are good scores! I hope I do well in unit 2 chemistry... By the way I'm doing chemistry, physics, math and further math.:smile:
Well I see A levels as a full time job and 9-5/6 everyday plus a little overtime
I don't count hours at all. I have post it notes on my wall for everyday of the week with targets for example today I'm studying for my english exam, I will be memorising the biographies and meanings of six poems and poet's. I'm currently using the pomodoro technique, studying for 25 minutes then 5 minute break. Once I've done everything for today I'm going to start on one of tomorrow's target.

Should really get back to revising now!
Original post by yangg
Wow those are good scores! I hope I do well in unit 2 chemistry... By the way I'm doing chemistry, physics, math and further math.:smile:

Thank you! :smile:

I was thinking of taking Further Math, and D1 as I'm doing engineering. But I'll have to study on my own, is it possible? :smile:

How easy is FP1?
Original post by Fayadh56
Thank you! :smile:

I was thinking of taking Further Math, and D1 as I'm doing engineering. But I'll have to study on my own, is it possible? :smile:

How easy is FP1?

Generally, if it's Edexcel especially, it's better to do the full Maths A Level first, then do Further Maths, because Further Pure requires knowing Core stuff.
Original post by LadyUchiha
What are your current revision methods?

I take my textbook and revision guide along with school notes and write revision summary notes or make a poster/spider diagram if it's more efficient or labelled diagrams (this is for more chem and biology). I then site down and memorise the key points/reactions etc and test myself by doing the examination style questions at the end of each unit. I will soon move on to past papers :smile:
Original post by jorose10
I take my textbook and revision guide along with school notes and write revision summary notes or make a poster/spider diagram if it's more efficient or labelled diagrams (this is for more chem and biology). I then site down and memorise the key points/reactions etc and test myself by doing the examination style questions at the end of each unit. I will soon move on to past papers :smile:

aah interesting, well as long as it works for you. Tbh i cannot learn with posters or mind maps at all. My one is the boring method of using the speification to learn everything then past papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending