Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hiya everyone. I'm self teaching all three of my A levels(maths, English economics) and am wanting to get A*A*A (at least). I may end up with A*A*B due to a lower maths grade and lack of tutor support, I was wondering if I could still get into Oxbridge tier schools for something like Law.
    more about my background, I'm from New Zealand, live in Mexico, do not have GCSEs. I am fluent In English and Spanish. I regularly volunteer, practice the Piano and Aikido(a martial art I am very good at) and go to the gym five days a week. I know my grades are probably going to be on the low side for Oxbridge law but I'm wondering if my other activities and background and that I am self teaching could make it a possibility again?
    kind regards,
    NúmeroNúmero

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    You bumped in 10 minutes

Why are you self-teaching, out of interest? If there's a genuine reason why, then you may get considered, but the truth is the average Oxbridge applicant's grades are a lot higher than your's and the admissions tutor's first priority is your academic grades, not your extra cirriculars

ReputationRep:
    I have no option, self teaching is the only way I can do A levels in Mexico. Many apologies I meant to put A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Número)
    I have no option, self teaching is the only way I can do A levels in Mexico. Many apologies I meant to put A*A*A
    Oxbridge isn't interested in you going to the gym, doing Aikido and volunteering. Thus -unless you also aiming at the US- spending the time on looking for a Tutor (even if he has not done A Levels, it should be able for you to find someone with a talent for Math, teaching, who knows all the relevant topics) and further practise (unless you already learn every day 6-8 hours, the usual maximum) would be much more valuable considering your aim. Nevertheless it has allways to do with luck, too.

By the way: You need a fourth A Level, taken up to AS.

ReputationRep:
    So my background and interests are of no interest AT ALL?
    is a fourth A level required? I thought it was recommended but not required.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpy bumpy. I have to go offline soon so a quick answer is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Universites in the UK aren't that fussed about extra curriculars. And yes you would need a 4th subject studied to AS level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A fourth A Level (As Level, not 4 A Levels to be precise) is standard.

Cambridge:
    AS/A Levels

Cambridge applicants are usually studying four or five AS Levels in Year 12 and we normally expect good A grades in relevant subjects. Applicants taking five subjects won't be at an advantage compared with those taking four.

All applicants are asked to report (in the Supplementary Application Questionnaire) the results of all AS and A Level modules taken to date, whether certificated or not. Colleges won't make unconditional offers on the basis of AS Level grades alone.

Most applicants go on to study three or four A Level subjects. For advice about suitable subject choices see our course requirements section.

The typical conditional A Level offer for 2014 entry will be A*AA (some applicants may be set lower offers or more challenging ones, eg to achieve more than one A*). Applicants may be required to achieve the A* in a particular subject depending on individual circumstances.

Critical Thinking: Please note that A Level Critical Thinking isn't considered an acceptable third A Level subject for any course at Cambridge. While it is regarded as a worthwhile addition to your portfolio of qualifications as a fourth AS or A Level subject, it's unlikely to be part of a conditional offer. Similarly Key Skills and General Studies are not required or included in academic assessment.

For further information read our facts about GCSE and AS/A Level requirement.
    Source: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../requirements/

Nearly all UK universities expect 3 A Levels + 1 As Level, thus I won't post the requirements of Oxford. Three A Levels are only the number of A Levels in the offer. (As the applicants usually already have passed all their As exams before applying, the university already knows the As Level result, thus it won't make sense to make it part of the offer.)

ReputationRep:
    sure!!! actually i think that being self taught is a great advantage, since in oxbridge youll have to work a lot by yourself. good for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.