Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Well I have already applied for a computing foundation leading to an IT management degree, been accepted and firmed that choice. I am passionate about computers/technology but I am having a bit of crisis. I have never really been sure what I wanted to do as a career and I think I have changed my mind about 5 times in the last year. It has varied from wanting to join the RAF as a pilot to becoming a body-builder. I really am confused. :confused: I have many passions and I fear that computing is just that. A hobby rather than a career. I have done games, website and media design along with a bit of coding and quite enjoyed it. I am however now thinking mechanical engineering is more suited to me as I am more hands on. I love physics, business management/entrepreneurship and don't mind maths. I feel I will enjoy a more hands on job rather than coding. I am a very analytical, hard working, ambitious, logical and determined person if that helps. I feel like I am just not suited to go into the computer science field and might not get along with others doing the course and in the industry as I don't think I am your typical computer science student.

The university does also have an engineering foundation course. I am considering transferring to that course. Do you think I should talk to the university asap or wait until I start my computing course, and if I don't enjoy it, ask to transfer? I think the second option would be better as I would already be at the university (foot in the door scenario). Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical engineering sounds fine, but be aware that at university it's mainly going to be maths, with a bit of coding even, and very little hands on work.

ReputationRep:
    transfer now, last thing you want to be doing is paying £9000 for a year of a course when you would rather be doing something else. I had an engineering foundation place this year and was about 95% certain that is what I wanted. That extra 5% however convinced me to differ and I think I really dodged a bullet as I'm applying for a course that will allow me to work outdoors more often and travel more than engineering would, and these are very important to me. Much more important than money which is why I think I picked engineering if I am brutally honest.

Make sure you are 100% certain of what you want to do.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.