Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't want everyone to jump on the band-wagon and tell me how ridiculous I'm being but does anybody, genuinely, believe it would be possible to teach myself the Higher over Summer?

ReputationRep:
    Please can someone help me out?

ReputationRep:
    I think you would struggle to fully understand the whole course to be honest mate, I still don't understand all of higher physics and i'm doing advanced higher! haha maybe you'd be better finding out what you need from higher for AH and just learning that in depth over the summer rather than vaguely understanding everything?

ReputationRep:
    You probably could, unit 1+2 aren't too difficult too understand but unit 3 could be a bit tricky to understand (some parts) but then you could probably just come on TSR and ask about the problems - so yeah you probably could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SneakyDoug)
    You probably could, unit 1+2 aren't too difficult too understand but unit 3 could be a bit tricky to understand (some parts) but then you could probably just come on TSR and ask about the problems - so yeah you probably could.
    Thanks

Obviously I don't want to throw away my whole summer because I've worked hard this year but I was thinking:

Each unit is supposed to last 40 hours, right? That's 120 in total. So it would take me about a month if I did four hours per day... so I could do maybe 2 hours in the morning and two at night, leaving me the whole day to do what I want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defensive Gnome)
    Thanks

Obviously I don't want to throw away my whole summer because I've worked hard this year but I was thinking:

Each unit is supposed to last 40 hours, right? That's 120 in total. So it would take me about a month if I did four hours per day... so I could do maybe 2 hours in the morning and two at night, leaving me the whole day to do what I want...
    Our teacher taught us the whole course in 10 hours, now i'm not saying you could learn it in 10 hours but you don't need the 120 hours. About half that is probably what you need.

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher taught us the whole course in 10 hours, now i'm not saying you could learn it in 10 hours but you don't need the 120 hours. About half that is probably what you need.
    May I ask how did you find that method of teaching then?

ReputationRep:
    Taught it in 2 weeks aye? God, your year must have been boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylerfc)
    May I ask how did you find that method of teaching then?
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Do you guys think it would be possible? Is the material difficult? How would it compare to maths chem and bio? How about the time restraints?

Appreciate any input

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think it would be possible? Is the material difficult? How would it compare to maths chem and bio? How about the time restraints?

Appreciate any input
    Yeah, easily. It's got less content than the other two sciences, but personally I feel the material is slightly harder. But you'll easily cope 8 weeks is more than enough as well, perhaps tell the AH Physics teacher what you're doing so that they can give you some material to work on.

ReputationRep:
    A guy in the year above myself did adv higher physics having only done int 2 in 4th year and ended up getting the top of the year prize for it and an A overall at the end the year, and still managing A's in adv chem and maths - it's definetely doable and it sounds like you're really willing to do the work so there's no reason you shouldnt
    I'm sitting higher this year and finding it difficult but physics is just not a subject I enjoy. I say go.for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Well the 2nd time he went over it

ReputationRep:
    Did u do SG? An honest answer would be no, it wouldn't be realistic to gain the full course with no help or support (assuming you've not got a tutor).

However, I think it would be possible to study the main parts of Mechanics (equations of motion, momentum etc) as in AH it's sorta a more in depth look at that. That's be the main point to learn. But the hard thing is not to understand the facts and equations, but its applying them into problem solving questions which are 3/4 marks worth and this is developed over a year studying the subject.

Also, don't mean to bash your dreams n that but assuming you got 5As at Higher a think you'd really need an A in Higher Physics if you were wanting to do Nat Sci at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchen102)
    Did u do SG? An honest answer would be no, it wouldn't be realistic to gain the full course with no help or support (assuming you've not got a tutor).

However, I think it would be possible to study the main parts of Mechanics (equations of motion, momentum etc) as in AH it's sorta a more in depth look at that. That's be the main point to learn. But the hard thing is not to understand the facts and equations, but its applying them into problem solving questions which are 3/4 marks worth and this is developed over a year studying the subject.

Also, don't mean to bash your dreams n that but assuming you got 5As at Higher a think you'd really need an A in Higher Physics if you were wanting to do Nat Sci at Cambridge.
    Well, it depends on which subjects within the NatSci course he intends on taking. Considering he is taking Maths, Chemistry and Biology to Advanced Higher level, he would be eligible for almost every subject, excluding Physics. Even then, however, if he were to take just a Higher in Physics next year and perform well in Maths, I think he would be eligible to pick any subject within the Natural Sciences course. Although the Physics component is supposedly very testing so you may struggle without AH Physics...

ReputationRep:
    you learned 3 full units in 6 days? that's not even possible

ReputationRep:

Appreciate any input
    i think it depends on how good you are at picking things up, theres people i know who could do it because they're so intelligent they could probably learn anything they wanted and be top of the class for it, how are you doing with your other science subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    you learned 3 full units in 6 days? that's not even possible
    As I already said it was the second time he went over it, he still went over everything, and yes it is completely possible.
    Also 6 days? Where do you get that from? 600 minutes/50 minute periods = 12 periods which is 2 weeks as we get 6 periods per week.

ReputationRep:
    As I already said it was the second time he went over it, he still went over everything, and yes it is completely possible.
    Also 6 days? Where do you get that from? 600 minutes/50 minute periods = 12 periods which is 2 weeks as we get 6 periods per week.
    I don't get what the big deal is, if you've already covered it then one Unit can be revised in two or three periods quite easily

ReputationRep:
    Considering that I learned most of a unit of AH chemistry in about 3 days in the October holidays I would say you'll be fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    okay, i didn't read your next post. in your first post you did say "our teacher taught us the whole course in 10 hours" implying that you learned it from scratch in 10 hours, which i was saying i don't believe is possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.