Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I make myself enjoy distance running. watch

ReputationRep:
    Im trying to get back into running but am having problems. Ive never actually been into distance running more sprinting and tempo track stuff but I added distance in for variety to help with my fitness overall. I used to fairly enjoy pushing myself when doing 3 - 5 mile but now it just feels like a chore. I want to get back into it and I want to like it but Ive began to hate running and I keep stopping, walking then running. Im not that out of breath I just get the cant be bothered feeling.

If I push myself will I begin to enjoy it if I make it a routine or are some folk just not meant to run.

Ive never understood how runners can enjoy distance So another question (out of interest and to help me) is what do you like about distance running? Is it the actual run or is it the after effects you like?

You are probably thinking that 3-5 mile isnt even distance lol but I dont go further than this as it wont help me with 400 and 200m.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried listening to your favourite music using headphones or listening to an audio book of some kind? It helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Have you tried listening to your favourite music using headphones or listening to an audio book of some kind? It helps
    No Ive not, I could try!

ReputationRep:
    Audiobooks are the way forward!

I've been going on long runs with the Alan Partridge autobiography. People keep looking at me funny as I'm laughing all the time :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Forcing your self to like something is very hard, if not impossible. There's a number of things i've done / do training wise that frankly i hate but where done for a bigger goal.

What's your goal, why do you want to do and there for enjoy distance running?

A great level of fitness and physique improvements can be made with short distance sprint work so why force something you don't enjoy on yourself if they are your aims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Im trying to get back into running but am having problems. Ive never actually been into distance running more sprinting and tempo track stuff but I added distance in for variety to help with my fitness overall. I used to fairly enjoy pushing myself when doing 3 - 5 mile but now it just feels like a chore. I want to get back into it and I want to like it but Ive began to hate running and I keep stopping, walking then running. Im not that out of breath I just get the cant be bothered feeling.

If I push myself will I begin to enjoy it if I make it a routine or are some folk just not meant to run.

Ive never understood how runners can enjoy distance So another question (out of interest and to help me) is what do you like about distance running? Is it the actual run or is it the after effects you like?

You are probably thinking that 3-5 mile isnt even distance lol but I dont go further than this as it wont help me with 400 and 200m.
    Music helps Although I don't use it. I find the motivation of being fit helps
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

I've been going on long runs with the Alan Partridge autobiography. People keep looking at me funny as I'm laughing all the time :rofl:
    Ahh but thats you enjoying the audio book more than the running isn't it ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A good route is what i look for mainly. Definitely has to be a loop rather than there-and-back. Sun helps greatly, which should be coming soon. I think setting a pace whereby you aren't having to strain every kilometre and its just a bit more natural gets me by too.

Having said that, i haven't done a run longer than 20K in about 2 months so i'm perhaps not the best example to follow.

ReputationRep:
    If you've only being doing this for a few sessions or have just returned and have only done a few sessions then I'd say persist for a few weeks, the first sessions of any high intensity excercise is always painful, but your body will adjust.

ReputationRep:
    just keep running! It takes a while to get used to it but as long you you keep up distance running on a regular basis then within a few weeks it will feel natural. I'm training for a marathon and recently got kicked in the behind by a cold so had to miss my long run yesterday, so not fun! A familiar route and good music both help, just be careful of audiobooks and podcasts as they can make you slower without noticing. The bad weather doesn't help either - unfortunately there's not much you can do about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    A good route is what i look for mainly. Definitely has to be a loop rather than there-and-back. Sun helps greatly, which should be coming soon. I think setting a pace whereby you aren't having to strain every kilometre and its just a bit more natural gets me by too.

Having said that, i haven't done a run longer than 20K in about 2 months so i'm perhaps not the best example to follow.
    Ha thats 4 times further than me I dont do more than 5 mile. 3 mile most fo the time

My goals are to be a better all round runner really. If I HAVE to be specific its to improve 400m time and the short sprints. I know that distance wont increase speed but I do speed sessions and interval sessions during the week. I thought Id add a few miles twice a week to challenge myself, increase the variety plus it will help with weight loss and with 400.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    If you've only being doing this for a few sessions or have just returned and have only done a few sessions then I'd say persist for a few weeks, the first sessions of any high intensity excercise is always painful, but your body will adjust.
    Another thing that makes me stop is my ankles and feet start aching (despite using insoles as im flat footed), I have to walk for a bit let the pain ease off then I start running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave_123)
    Forcing your self to like something is very hard, if not impossible. There's a number of things i've done / do training wise that frankly i hate but where done for a bigger goal.

What's your goal, why do you want to do and there for enjoy distance running?

A great level of fitness and physique improvements can be made with short distance sprint work so why force something you don't enjoy on yourself if they are your aims?
    Its part of my training I want to improve at 400m. I already do intervals, speed sessions and plyometrics in fact I think my quads are too big for distance lol. I thought Id add a few miles twice a week in it might help with 400, help me lose a bit more weight and its better than sitting around.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that makes me stop is my ankles and feet start aching (despite using insoles as im flat footed), I have to walk for a bit let the pain ease off then I start running.
    That should stop after a few weeks, if it doesn't then it might be your running technique or something to do with your flat feet.

ReputationRep:
    music and podcasts definitely! I used to really enjoy running but now every time I try my leg joints seem to fail on me

ReputationRep:

I usually run so that half way through my journey the suns setting, don't think it helps much but on the return run it's as it's getting darker.. :confused:

I usually have a playlist of my favorite music, I dunno just try to sing through whole albums..

But the most important (I think) will be who (if anyone) you run with, where you run and fast you run.

I run to my cinema and back, most of it's on the embankment so I have the river right next to me, some reason it doesn't seem like a chore, I ran with 2 friends, with one we decided to go to the town center, we ran so fast I almost had to puke, we walked the rest, the other guy was the opposite, he runs further than me and when I was running with him I managed to go further.

I run fast, but not sprinting just a bit slower so it's not uncomfortable... (have no idea how to explain this) but enough so I know I can make it for an hour if needed

Running in the morning turns me into a zombie for the rest of the day, arms and legs ache and I just want to eat and sleep, running at night (eating and having a shower) first I sleep like a baby and feel amazing the following morning, one of the reasons I choose to run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R1C3W1N3)
    I usually run so that half way through my journey the suns setting, don't think it helps much but on the return run it's as it's getting darker.. :confused:

I usually have a playlist of my favorite music, I dunno just try to sing through whole albums..

But the most important (I think) will be who (if anyone) you run with, where you run and fast you run.

I run to my cinema and back, most of it's on the embankment so I have the river right next to me, some reason it doesn't seem like a chore, I ran with 2 friends, with one we decided to go to the town center, we ran so fast I almost had to puke, we walked the rest, the other guy was the opposite, he runs further than me and when I was running with him I managed to go further.

I run fast, but not sprinting just a bit slower so it's not uncomfortable... (have no idea how to explain this) but enough so I know I can make it for an hour if needed

Running in the morning turns me into a zombie for the rest of the day, arms and legs ache and I just want to eat and sleep, running at night (eating and having a shower) first I sleep like a baby and feel amazing the following morning, one of the reasons I choose to run

Sounds like you have it sorted Yea I wouldnt mind running along the canal but I dont know whether i should feel safe on my own as a 4ft11 female, or maybe Im from a sheltered family lol.

I def know what you mean about training in the morning I come home and just fall asleep most of the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

Omg this is pure genius! Can you give me more info please? Where do you get them from, how much, how big are they etc? So gonna do this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have it sorted Yea I wouldnt mind running along the canal but I dont know whether i should feel safe on my own as a 4ft11 female, or maybe Im from a sheltered family lol.

I def know what you mean about training in the morning I come home and just fall asleep most of the time!
    Haha, I started about last September when school opened, stopped for the winter and have now started again fully.

My parents wouldn't let me run at night first, I slowly started to run earlier, and I run along main roads as much as I can.
    Some times I leave running late (9pm on a school night) I just do laps around my neighborhood "block"

The ONLY positive thing I can think of about running in the morning is how "fresh" the air seems, everything is just peaceful :L

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    Omg this is pure genius! Can you give me more info please? Where do you get them from, how much, how big are they etc? So gonna do this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As in where to get the audiobooks from? I got Alan Partridge from iTunes, amazon also sell downloadable audiobooks, as does Audible.

There are also 'other' methods of getting audiobooks :ninjagirl: but obviously not technically kosher.

The unabridged Alan Partridge book is 220MB, so they're not all that big! Great to dump on the iPhone.

Highly recommend Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter also.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.