Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-UK people: What do you think about the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just interested to know what people who were not born in the UK think of the UK. Did anything surprise you/ did you think anything we do is strange, when you came here?

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice place the education system is a lot better than other parts of the EU but the living standards are a bit below average. Most houses here were built in the 70s and are tiny and less modern than other countries not saying that there aren't any modern houses. Not to forget to mention the litter people are also more aggressive here in the UK compared to other countries. In my previous country of residence the netherlands you could walk everywhere at midnight without having to worry about anything. People there were also friendlier streets are cleaner and houses are more modern over there.

ReputationRep:
    Being dual national and having lived some of my life in the UK and some of my life in Australia, there are likes and dislikes I have about both. But about the UK I especially dislike the wishy-washy political system, the idea that the state provides everything for you and also the ignorance of a certain section of society that gains it's outlook on the world through the daily mail. On the other hand, I don't think these problems are exclusive to the UK. I do surprisingly think the food here is excellent (British supermarkets are the best, seriously). But better than this is the acceptance that most British people have of foreigners and people of different races. Brits are far more welcoming than Aussies at least

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    It's a nice place the education system is a lot better than other parts of the EU but the living standards are a bit below average. Most houses here were built in the 70s and are tiny and less modern than other countries not saying that there aren't any modern houses. Not to forget to mention the litter people are also more aggressive here in the UK compared to other countries. In my previous country of residence the netherlands you could walk everywhere at midnight without having to worry about anything. People there were also friendlier streets are cleaner and houses are more modern over there.
    Oh yeah I agree with this too. The houses here are crap; too small, ugly, too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If I am honest I actually like it.

It has a nice location, short flights to North America and rest of Europe and North Africa. Plus despite the cheap supermarket brand foods it has a great food industry, actual farms as opposed to beef/chicken factories in the USA.

Has a good mix of scenary, old cities, new cities, forests, plains, mountains and all within short distances as opposed to spread over thousands of miles like the USA/Canada.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I'm just interested to know what people who were not born in the UK think of the UK. Did anything surprise you/ did you think anything we do is strange, when you came here?
    Well I live in London now but was raised in Atlanta in the USA. I'd say the UK is more liberated (than America) but also more dangerous in my experience. People give less of a f*ck about things that don't really matter which is what I like and alcohol aint the "devils water" as my homespun Georgian neighbours called it.

In a nutshell, I compare England with America by:
    less rules, more fun, worse weather (but not worse than Seattle) and far less capitalist

ReputationRep:
    UK compared to my country of origin is much much better in terms of education, labour and overall. About safety, haven't faced anything yet and hopefully won't, but as a comparison, I was slightly attacked by two guys in day time in my town in my home country.. What I like is British people attitude towards other people in regards of their appearance etc as they mind their own business and don't gossip about others how they're dressed or how do they look. Generally, I like United Kingdom Haven't seen it all but I bet it's a great country to live in.

ReputationRep:
    I like the culture (well... most of it) and history and "Britishness".

I really dislike the laws, to the point where I wouldn't even consider a long-term stay... you can, for the most part, forget about owning guns, and pocket knives have to be kept at home since it's an offence to have one in your pocket, gah...

I also don't like the lower-class "loud and violent" youth culture you can find, especially in certain areas, but the same is true of most countries.

I also don't like the higher prices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.