Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just not sinking in! (AS Level Easter revision) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen numerous threads on this forum where people answer the question "when is the best time to start revising" with Easter time.

Now that Easter is here, I've realised that most of what I learnt throughout the year I have forgotten or cannot reliably recall. I'm also looking through online notes and realising how far off I am and the fact that nothing is sinking in!

Panicking now, what would you recommend TSR?

ReputationRep:
    Dont revise by how many hours you wish to do, but how many topics. So you may end up finishing your days revision after 3 hours and either relaxing or getting stuck back in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apolocreed)
    Dont revise by how many hours you wish to do, but how many topics. So you may end up finishing your days revision after 3 hours and either relaxing or getting stuck back in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting, so you're saying I shouldn't make time my enemy?
    That seems like a step in the right direction!

But at this stage shouldn't I be rolling through past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)

Depends which subjects you're doing. Some papers like maths it is only really viable to revise via papers as there is not much note taking etc. but in other subjects, such as the humanities, there is a great deal of knowledge needed and there's no point beginning past papers until you are sure you have the knowledge down to pat. So for example I do maths, English, politics and history and the first two I am doing past papers and just a little consolidation of knowledge whereas the latter two I am writing notes and making sure I know the stuff before I embark on papers.

If you start past papers too early you use them up way before your exams and then have nothing to revise with close to the exam and may get disheartened by lower scores which you have only got because you haven't learnt everything properly yet.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen numerous threads on this forum where people answer the question "when is the best time to start revising" with Easter time.

Now that Easter is here, I've realised that most of what I learnt throughout the year I have forgotten or cannot reliably recall. I'm also looking through online notes and realising how far off I am and the fact that nothing is sinking in!

Try different techniques, check this out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2185709

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Well this morning I set myself the task of finishing holiday work which has highlighted key areas for me, I started at 9, ended it at 11 and am going through learning key stuff, and also noting stuff I need to learn...this has also allowed me to take a break for a while. I'll probably go though the stuff again then have lunch

ReputationRep:
    Starting at different times works for different people, myself I needed since September for everything to sink it and feel confident walking into the exam, you may be similar or different, don't take general opinion to devise your revision schedule, take your own next time so you don't end up in the same scenario. Anyway all I can say now is revise hard.

ReputationRep:

It all depends on what subjects you're doing. If you're sitting mostly mathematics modules in the summer, then I wouldn't be too worried as its possible to learn an entire book in a matter of days when it comes to maths. After that its just past papers.

I'm afraid I can't give much advice on the humanities side of things, but speaking as someone who did philosophy AS I can say, from my own experiences of course, that providing you posses the basic knowledge (i.e case studies or whatever is relevant to your subject) you shouldn't be too worried as a good amount of reading each day will probably get you sorted.

It goes without saying, however, that everyone is different in how they revise, and something that works for one person may not necessarily work for another. Best thing is to do is to find something you're comfortable with. Its nowhere near too late so don't feel disheartened, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Going through notes isn't enough. You have to be active in your revision: make shortened versions of your notes, in diagrams, bullet points, or whatever form. Do a practice paper. Check your answers. See what you did wrong. Re-do the paper so it's right. Repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the wonderful, reassuring and inspirational posts.
    I've begun by breaking down the Easter holiday into segments, then breaking the segments down into 3 (as it is a multiple of 9 - the no. of exams I have) and going at it from there.

-NR

ReputationRep:
    Just go back to the basics, revise using the textbook and then move onto past papers. In future, revise as you go along, I've been doing that and it makes it easier to revise everything in the end because it's just like refreshing your memory and going over things you already know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.