Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was told today that I'm weird for being allergic to pineapple. Only fresh pineapple, not juice or anything. My sister is allergic to strawberries.

What's everyone elses food allergies?

ReputationRep:
    Sunflower oil.

I'm sure you can imagine how happy it makes me when my favorite foods are "healthified" and are now cooked in sunflower oil.

ReputationRep:
    Mussels, but its only an intolerance. I get a weird rash on my forehead and puke for hours and hours...

ReputationRep:
    I have loads of minor allergies but the only semi-food related one I can think of is grapes. Just fermented grapes, ie. wine, mind. Fresh grapes/raisins/grape juice are still on the menu.

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a few: most kinds of nuts, cod, tuna, salmon, shellfish. I just avoid most kinds of fish to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Beef, nuts and coconut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    I was told today that I'm weird for being allergic to pineapple. Only fresh pineapple, not juice or anything. My sister is allergic to strawberries.

What's everyone elses food allergies?
    Are you allergic to any other fresh fruit/veg?

Me, my brother and my dad all have oral allergy syndrome which is a cluster of allergic reactions in the mouth/lips/throat in response to eating certain fresh fruit and veg.

What happens when you eat pineapple/your sister eats strawberries?

Our lips/mouth/throat start to really, really itch and swell. It's horrible! I take 10mg Ceterizine daily for it though. Works a treat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Are you allergic to any other fresh fruit/veg?

Me, my brother and my dad all have oral allergy syndrome which is a cluster of allergic reactions in the mouth/lips/throat in response to eating certain fresh fruit and veg.

What happens when you eat pineapple/your sister eats strawberries?

Our lips/mouth/throat start to really, really itch and swell. It's horrible! I take 10mg Ceterizine daily for it though. Works a treat.
    Weirdly enough, I'm not! Both me and my sister end up with swollen lips/throats and we get a kind of rashy redness around our lips too.

ReputationRep:
    All nuts and apples in terms of food allergies. Yaaaay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lemon curd! But not lemons?? I get a rash all over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Wheat

ReputationRep:
    Mainly fruit Pineapple, apple (only the skin though), strawberries and melon. Oh and bananas D: I am ok if I take antihistamines before though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    Weirdly enough, I'm not! Both me and my sister end up with swollen lips/throats and we get a kind of rashy redness around our lips too.
    Hah! That'll be oral allergy syndrome too

I'm allergic to banana's, apples and melon in particular. Other than that I'm generally fine! Weird huh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

edit:

(Original post by RandomPeopleDancin)
    Mainly fruit Pineapple, apple (only the skin though), strawberries and melon. Oh and bananas D: I am ok if I take antihistamines before though
    hah! I only just read this, see my above post! We're pretty much the same!

What antihistamines do you take? I take 10mg Cetirizine daily but thinking of swapping to Loratadine.

ReputationRep:
    I have a nut allergy. Strangely, my orthodontist (of all people) asked me if I had eczema as a child, and if my parents used nut based oils and creams to treat it. They did, apparently this is the cause of the nut allergy due to the sensitivity of children's skin which picks up on nut oils as an allergen or something.

I also have a massive intolerance of eggs... not baked or cooked in cakes/biscuits/pasta for some reason... just scrambled/fried/boiled etc, which is a shame because they look so tasty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Hah! That'll be oral allergy syndrome too

I'm allergic to banana's, apples and melon in particular. Other than that I'm generally fine! Weird huh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome

edit:

hah! I only just read this, see my above post! We're pretty much the same!

What antihistamines do you take? I take 10mg Cetirizine daily but thinking of swapping to Loratadine.
    I take 10mg cetirizine hydrochloride mainly for my hayfever/ allergy to my dog but I won't need to take them as often as we had our doggy put down on Wednesday Hate them as they make me sleepy so sometimes I use them as a slight sedative- long car journeys that sort of thing

ReputationRep:
    Allergic to fresh tomatoes, bananas, pineapples and avocados.

Allergic to apples when the pollen levels are high but not if they come from a country where the pollen levels are low.

Allergic to a protein found in dairy products including eggs (no I'm not lactose intolerant).

Allergic to ground nuts (most painful of all the allergies).

Doctor says if I eat too much soya then I will become allergic to that too so I switch between it and rice based products.

ReputationRep:
    I'm allergic to pineapple (used to love them before my allergy kicked in).

I'm also allergic to kiwi and banana. People find it hard to believe that I don't eat banana's and haven't eaten one in 7 years..

I hate allergies, summer time is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    all nuts

ReputationRep:
    Does this "oral Allergy syndrome" ever go OTT to full blown Anaphyalxis?
    I am a First Aider and have seen anapylaxis- which is very scary and the person had to go to the hospital by ambulance.
    She used anithistinine, threw up, then used her epipen. Was in recovery, but on the way to hospital they had to use another shot of adrenaline before the reaction was under control.

ReputationRep:
    A girl i went to college with was allergic to most kinds of fruit. The only 2 that i can think of that she wasnt allergic to was bananas and raisins. With oranges, she was also allergic to to the smell of them, so no one could have oranges while with her at college.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.