Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its a funny question, I know. I have no problem revising History, Geography and other subjects and have techniques.

But with Literature, mainly the novels, I have no idea where to start. I really struggled at The Crucible and I am no way near prepared for the exam in June. Do I re-read it? Do I watch the film? Do I just learn the characters? Do I revise the language before watching the film or characters? Do I create power points about the scenes? Its a tough one. I don't know where to start or what to do. The same applies to Of Mice and Men.

If you have any tips which are helping you/helped you, it would no doubt beneficial.

Ta.

ReputationRep:
    Get a study guide and learn it inside out.

ReputationRep:
    firstly be familiar with your assessment objectives and what you are being expected to do in your essays and the weightings of each marks; how much is being awarded for each skill. your teacher should be able to help you with this. this will give you some hint as to how to actually write your essay as some people won't quote or won't give enough analysis etc.

i would reccomend learning the themes of the novels and becoming familiar with things they may ask you; luckily (if i remember correctly) gcse is open text, so you should have no problem being able to look up quotes which is good (i am denied this privilege at a level ) looking up titles of past essays (again you can find these all over the internet and your teacher will be able to help you etc) and this will also help you with themes.

once you have learnt the themes i would learn the characters and how steinbeck has presented them. link this in to learning all the relevant quotes and their symbolism, literary technique, meaning etc on flashcards. so for example in of mice and men you have the recurring red symbol; the girl who lennie upsets at the first farm is wearing red, curly's wife wears red etc and red symbolises danger; this symbol is present right at the beginning of the novel and therefore foreshadows the rest of the novel as it is a hint of what is to come next etc.

if you aren't very good at this fortunately there are loads of resources over the internet; by this way you get to know the interpretations of the book and not just the book. they are going to expect context so make sure you brush up briefly on the settings of the novels (ie crucible salem witch hunts, mcarthyism, the cold war and then in of mice and men great depression, american dream etc) id also do these on flashcards because the context only has to be brief.

then start doing past essays, if you don't feel comfortable with your knowledge then do them with your flash cards at hand then gradually move away from them. give them to your teacher to mark, peer mark them with a friend or critique them yourself (more difficult but still worth it)

doing past essays is the best practice and revision once you have the knowledge in place.

hope this helps and i havent been condescending or told you anything you already know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.