Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bedroom Tax affects only council properties.

How about finding a flat to rent on sites such as findaproperty.com where you deal with landlords and estate agents, not the dingy council...

I currently live at home with parents with a supermarket job but I would never look for a council flat; it's all about standards. A studio flat, £600pcm, is easily attainable on £1k per month shop job (even single occupancy, a flat share would be even better).

Why do people need council properties anyway?

ReputationRep:
    yeah... and people on long-term benefits can afford private properties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikenamitha)
    yeah... and people on long-term benefits can afford private properties.
    With housing benefit they can!

ReputationRep:
    If that is the case then it won't be for much longer. Small homes and flats will rocket in price due to demand. Making them even less affordable.

Oh the government, you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily the monthly cost of the property that's the problem. My partner is on benefits at the moment and lives in a privately rented flat, but there are a lot of other costs when renting privately that most people on benefits would never be able to afford. For example my partner's deposit was £525 (which is £100 plus first month's rent) and he didn't have HB to cover that because he was still paying for his old property at the time, and then there are letting agent's fees for signing with them, which could be over £100 depending on how much they charge. Not many people who are on benefits would have that amount sitting around, so it's not as easy to "just move". Plus, moving properties can be stressful and even more expensive, because you have to get your things there somehow, which will usually involve either hiring a removal company or the slightly cheaper option of hiring a van yourself- unless you're lucky enough to know someone with a van. Also, if you have children then it isn't as easy as saying "just move", because it's their home, they may be close to their friends or their school. There are so many things to think about.

That being said, I do understand that benefits shouldn't be paying for properties which are bigger than what people actually need. But to say that they should "just move" is a little silly, really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand half the people complaining. They're using the spare bedroom to just put all their rubbish and to horde stuff in. I think maybe they should have an appeals program for say people who Foster children, who have lost a child or family member who had that room jut for say a year for them to grieve and then they have to give it up, or for people who have member of their family who have special needs and maybe need the room to give to a carer who provides night respite care.

I know someone who's parents worked all their lives and they didn't really save money because they had enough coming in and such and they didn't really need to save, then they lost both of their jobs, they had 4 kids. They had to move into a 2 bedroom council house whilst someone who's never worked has a 4 bedroom house and maybe 2 kids and they have a spare bedroom they don't use.

If you don't need the bedroom, give it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Bedroom Tax affects only council properties.

How about finding a flat to rent on sites such as findaproperty.com where you deal with landlords and estate agents, not the dingy council...

I currently live at home with parents with a supermarket job but I would never look for a council flat; it's all about standards. A studio flat, £600pcm, is easily attainable on £1k per month shop job (even single occupancy, a flat share would be even better).

Why do people need council properties anyway?
    Maybe when you grow up a bit you'll learn a little about the realities of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    With housing benefit they can!
    Local housing allowance is capped to the bottom third of the housing stock in the area. It also makes no financial sense to encourage people into private housing as it costs the public purse much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Local housing allowance is capped to the bottom third of the housing stock in the area. It also makes no financial sense to encourage people into private housing as it costs the public purse much more.
    But it's unavoidable as demand for council greatly outweighs the supply

After all we should ensure council housing is NOT under occupied.
    We need less single people living in 2 or 3 bed council houses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    But it's unavoidable as demand for council greatly outweighs the supply
    Why is this?

(Original post by a729)
    After all we should ensure council housing is NOT under occupied.
    We need less single people living in 2 or 3 bed council houses
    How many single people are living in 2 or 3 bed council houses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Why is this?

How many single people are living in 2 or 3 bed council houses?
    I'm not sure about the figures but I'm sure it's more than 1000!

Partly Thatcher but even without right to buy there'd be s shortage of social housing especially in London where population growth has been so high!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I'm not sure about the figures but I'm sure it's more than 1000!

Partly Thatcher but even without right to buy there'd be s shortage of social housing especially in London where population growth has been so high!
    You don't know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.