The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

how much do GCSE's matter for chemistry for UCL?

Hi Im in year 12 and was looking at UCL for chemistry and I was wondering whether it is worth applying if I decide to do chemistry due to my what I consider not very good to poor GCSE's

I have 10 C's 1 B and resitting my GCSE maths to get it up to an A/A* (I only did foundation in secondary school)

I do chemistry, biology and physics AS-level at the moment (carrying them to A2 and picking up maths AS-level) and will hopefully achieve AAA-AAB at the end of AS. I also had to resit year 12 (It was my fault though)

I have 1 weeks relevant work experience, I am a reading mentor for year 7 students, I help in a classroom for year 9's for science on the C/D borderline at school, I am setting up to do voluntary work to do once a week, I have done 2 4 day team building/problem solving which involved being put into random groups with people from schools in other parts of the country and also produce a presentation and present it to lecturers at the uni it was at (university of Lancaster and somewhere else I cant remember what it was called).

Do you guys think I would stand a chance even with my low GCSE's (they seem to be low compared to alot of people on here and that I know anyway) if I get good AS grades?

sorry for the long question and thanks for any help you can offer
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
GCSEs are only one part of your application. In my opinion, I feel that GCSEs don't mean as much as the personal statement, grades/predicted grades and reference. As long as you achieve good grades this year and get a very strong personal statement, I don't see why you would have too much of a disadvantage with your GCSEs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending