Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and a few friends are planning on going on a road trip across Europe. Hopefully it's going to be from like mid June to mid July, roughly one month long. It's just an idea right now but I'd like more information if we we're to go. I've never done anything like this so I have absolutely no clue what to do.

So technically, my first question should be: What do you do on a road trip? Is it simply just drive to a place?

Firstly, where would we be able to hire a car that would let us drive across Europe? We would all be 21 at the time of the trip and we all have full UK driving licences with no points on them. How would the insurance work for us, like would we all need to do something special to get insured or would that happen automatically when we hire the car? Also, would we need to check for some kind of special laws being foreign people driving a foreign car?

Secondly, how would the whole staying over at places thing work. I was thinking we drive to some nice cities or whatever, look at scenery on the way (taking country roads or whatever) and then go to the next place. Would we stay in hotels, hostels, etc? Do these places make us make our own food? If we're in the city centre, how would we park?

Also, how much would you roughly recommend we budget? Like would £500 be enough, to take on the trip, assuming the car has been paid for? How much do you think everything would come up to?

I can't think of any more questions but I will add them when I do

Can anyone help with any of these questions, or do you know what I could do to try and find more information?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Me and a few friends are planning on going on a road trip across Europe. Hopefully it's going to be from like mid June to mid July, roughly one month long. It's just an idea right now but I'd like more information if we we're to go. I've never done anything like this so I have absolutely no clue what to do.

So technically, my first question should be: What do you do on a road trip? Is it simply just drive to a place?
    Decide some places you'd like to go in advance and plan your route around them. I don't know what sort of things you want to see or do so can't really suggest anything specific, but any cities of interest? Historical/cultural things? Do you want to see nice scenery like the alps? Come up with some things you'd like to do and start planning a really rough route based around them.

Firstly, where would we be able to hire a car that would let us drive across Europe? We would all be 21 at the time of the trip and we all have full UK driving licences with no points on them. How would the insurance work for us, like would we all need to do something special to get insured or would that happen automatically when we hire the car? Also, would we need to check for some kind of special laws being foreign people driving a foreign car?
    The fact that you're 21 (or crucially, under 25) is going to massively limit your choice of hire car companies. If you do find a company that will let you hire a car, you're going to be limited in what sort of car you can hire. Most likely they will only offer you hatchbacks. How many of you are planning to go? With more four people plus luggage, that's going to be very cramped. You're also going to spend a long time in the car, so while you might put up with it not being the most comfortable car in the world most of the time, it's not going to be the most pleasant thing to do hundreds or thousands of miles in. Various countries have all sorts of slightly unusual laws (France require you to carry a breathaliser at all times, for example) so you'd need to check those for each of the countries you're planning to go to.

I don't know how the insurance would work with wanting to drive outside the UK since I've not dealt with hire cars, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's tricky as well. You've got a lot stacked against you on the hire car front. By all means look into it, but if it were me my backup plan if a hire car is a non-starter would be to look at buying something decent and reliable but maybe a few years old (eg. a 2004 VW Passat) for a couple of grand, insure it and make sure it covers outside the UK, get EU breakdown cover, and sell it again when you're done. Obviously more of a hassle but I think you're really going to struggle with a hire car.

Secondly, how would the whole staying over at places thing work. I was thinking we drive to some nice cities or whatever, look at scenery on the way (taking country roads or whatever) and then go to the next place. Would we stay in hotels, hostels, etc? Do these places make us make our own food? If we're in the city centre, how would we park?
    Last time I went (with my dad a few years ago, though we're doing it again in the summer) we booked hotels in advance and made sure they had parking, and we planned our route out by the day. Less flexibility of course, but better than searching around trying to find a hotel at no notice for however many people in a country where you don't speak the language. I'm sure it's perfectly manageable without having such a strict itinerary if you go prepared with guides to hostels, B&Bs etc for the areas you're going to though :yes: A decent satnav will have those things on it (be wary of looking stuff up on your phone on a normal contract lest you end up paying extortionate data charges).

Also, how much would you roughly recommend we budget? Like would £500 be enough, to take on the trip, assuming the car has been paid for? How much do you think everything would come up to?
    It will depend a lot on where you're going and how far you drive. Is that £500 to cover everything? Accommodation, food, drinks, doing stuff, petrol? I can't see that's going to be enough for a month. On my last big road trip we did 2500 miles in a week, that would cost the best part of £500 just for fuel. Work it out per day - for four weeks, that gives you about £18 per day.

Given that it'll be summer and most of Europe has less terrible weather than the UK does, you might consider camping some of the time?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought of cycling across Europe (or part of it). This would be cheaper and you could stay at hostels/hotels or even camp/wild camp allowing you go where you want (dont need to book)??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark115)
    Have you thought of cycling across Europe (or part of it). This would be cheaper and you could stay at hostels/hotels or even camp/wild camp allowing you go where you want (dont need to book)??
    It was mentioned, but I think I'd be too lazy to want to do that. Like I wouldn't mind cycling if different cities had Boris Bikes or whatever, but I probably wouldn't want to do it all across the continent. I'd like to enjoy the views in luxury lol.

Also, this might sound like a silly point but I have a fast metabolism and so lose weight quite quickly. When we come back, it would be my sisters wedding and I don't want to look extra skinny for it. Atleast in a car I can save some fat.

ReputationRep:
    Hey if you work out how to hire a car to go round Europe let me know. For sure most hire companies won't let you take the car to another country. Might be easier buying a second hand car and then selling it when your done. Or borrowing someone's car.

Alternatively have you thought about inter railing. Its cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Not one of you has a car? Would be so much cheaper than hiring.

ReputationRep:
    Did I ever tell you about the time I went backpacking across western Europe? I was just outside Barcelona, hiking in the foothills of mount Tibidabo. I was at the end of this path, and I came to a clearing, and there was a lake, very secluded, and there were tall trees all around. It was dead silent. Gorgeous. And across the lake I saw, a beautiful woman, bathing herself. She was crying...

I HAD TO. PROPS TO ANYONE WHO UNDERSTANDS THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    Did I ever tell you about the time I went backpacking across western Europe? I was just outside Barcelona, hiking in the foothills of mount Tibidabo. I was at the end of this path, and I came to a clearing, and there was a lake, very secluded, and there were tall trees all around. It was dead silent. Gorgeous. And across the lake I saw, a beautiful woman, bathing herself. She was crying...

I HAD TO. PROPS TO ANYONE WHO UNDERSTANDS THIS

ReputationRep:
    One guy does but he doesn't want to take, which I think is fair enough just incase somink goes wrong and it comes back on his insurance policy. Plus its quite old so I think chances of a hire car breaking down would be a lot less and hopefully easier to fix if they know people are taking them across the continent and so maybe they have something set up for this.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire

ReputationRep:
    One guy does but he doesn't want to take, which I think is fair enough just incase somink goes wrong and it comes back on his insurance policy. Plus its quite old so I think chances of a hire car breaking down would be a lot less and hopefully easier to fix if they know people are taking them across the continent and so maybe they have something set up for this.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
    Have you had any luck finding somewhere that will let you hire a car?

ReputationRep:
    I've road tripped through Europe to Portugal and back.
    1. You will not find a hire company that will lend you a car at 21 to drive through Europe that is not extremely expensive.
    2. It's a lot more expensive than you might think with the cost of ferries, fuel, tolls and on-the-road repairs (we had 2 tire blowouts). You would easily spend that £500 on fuel and tolls.
    3. You spend more time in the car than you do sightseeing and when you finish your journey in the car all you want to do is sleep. Seemed like a total waste to me.

Go interailing. Much more fun in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Have you had any luck finding somewhere that will let you hire a car?
    I think I've found a couple of websites that might let me do it, but I need to first double check with my friends if they're cool and second make sure that we get what we want. Want me to give you those sites?

ReputationRep:
    I think I've found a couple of websites that might let me do it, but I need to first double check with my friends if they're cool and second make sure that we get what we want. Want me to give you those sites?
    Just out of curiosity really, but sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerAnthems)
    I've road tripped through Europe to Portugal and back.

2. It's a lot more expensive than you might think with the cost of ferries, fuel, tolls and on-the-road repairs (we had 2 tire blowouts). You would easily spend that £500 on fuel and tolls.

3. You spend more time in the car than you do sightseeing and when you finish your journey in the car all you want to do is sleep. Seemed like a total waste to me.
    That's a good point. I forgot about breakdowns. Just a few questions if you don't mind

- Was it your own car or did you hire?
    - Roughly how much did you spend on the car, i.e insurance for your trip, petrol, break downs, whatever else (also could you mention these whatever else's in case I've forgotten something lol)?
    - How long did you go for?
    - What did you do on your trip? Like did you just drive to Portugal or did you take some time to go over Europe and slowly make your way there? That's the kind of thing we're thinking, maybe visit the Bernabeu or Nou Camp and the make our way there through Europe, visit it and then make our way back.
    (Original post by SummerAnthems)
    Go interailing. Much more fun in my opinion.
    Interrailing as too much like constraints and "problems". I don't really get how it works in all fairness, but I'd prefer to sit in the car for ages and go my own pace than have to get up at whatever time to catch the 9am train and then sit on a train for bare long.

And, we don't really want an "adventure" holiday where like we get up really early and have all these challenges and whatever and whatever. We want a relaxed, get up whenever, do our little drive, chill, some sight seeing then carry on sort of holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity really, but sure
    I found three main ones. Put them in order of what I think is best to last:

1) http://www.avis.co.uk/CarHire/Europe

2) http://www.europcar.co.uk/

3) http://www.indigocarhire.co.uk/

The first one seems the best. Europcar, I need to double check the small print as I'm not sure how much they're charging us or if we can actually get it as we're under 25. The last one is like a comparison website. I think Avis (number 1) is the best but I'm going to give it to my mates as well to get them to double check.

Right now the main problem is we don't know exactly what to do lol. Like I said in the other post, we'd like a goal to centre it around and I think we'll do a mixture of scenery and cultural places we'll visit but this all needs to be sorted lol.

ReputationRep:
    I found three main ones. Put them in order of what I think is best to last:

1) http://www.avis.co.uk/CarHire/Europe

2) http://www.europcar.co.uk/

3) http://www.indigocarhire.co.uk/

The first one seems the best. Europcar, I need to double check the small print as I'm not sure how much they're charging us or if we can actually get it as we're under 25. The last one is like a comparison website. I think Avis (number 1) is the best but I'm going to give it to my mates as well to get them to double check.

Right now the main problem is we don't know exactly what to do lol. Like I said in the other post, we'd like a goal to centre it around and I think we'll do a mixture of scenery and cultural places we'll visit but this all needs to be sorted lol.
    Avis looks promising, I just checked for France and Germany and they'll let you hire a car, but there's a surcharge of 32.50 Euros per day. I just checked for Poland as well and you need to be 23 though, but for most countries you might be OK

ReputationRep:
    Avis looks promising, I just checked for France and Germany and they'll let you hire a car, but there's a surcharge of 32.50 Euros per day. I just checked for Poland as well and you need to be 23 though, but for most countries you might be OK
    Brilliant. Thank you very much I tried repping you but I think because I already repped you on your first post I can't do it again on this one :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark115)
    I am doing this. Doing 13 countries for 7 weeks and only need to average 60 miles per day.

ReputationRep:
    In summer 2011 I went on a three month road trip from UK to Istanbul via 17 other countries. We came up with the route by researching the places and attractions we really want to see i.e. southern coast of France, Cinque Terre in Italy, Lake Bled in Slovenia, Croatian coast, Meteora in Greece, Transfargarasan road in Romania, Berlin etc. We plotted it all on a map and then left the UK, heading south to see where we'd end up! In my opinion, buying your own car is definitely the way to do it as then you're not pressed for time, not worried so much about the car's safety/condition (we liked going on the backroads!) and it is usually cheaper. We purchased our 1995 Toyota Estima for £800, converted it into a campervan and then sold it back for slightly more 6 months later (with the extra 10,000km on the clock!) With UK insurance you are covered for all EU countries for a short amount of time (I think it's a month from memory), plus a few others such as Norway and Switzerland. We purchased 'road trip' insurance which lasted for three months and covered us in Turkey, Albania and Croatia too.

If you really want to rent, have you considered getting a Spaceship or Wicked van? We based our own campervan design on these and it worked out really well.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.