The Student Room Group

Nursing and from NI - Confused??

I am from and livivng in northern ireland atm. I am going to Stirling Uni in september, deferred entry. Accepted last year but because I did not understand or get enough notice to apply for fundings I have deferred my entry to this year.

I don't fully understand what SAAS is?
and because I am going to study nursing all of my funds are different from other students, I don't know what to apply for or how etc.

ANY tips or advice would be greatly appreciated and I don't want to stay at home another year. Help me get to uni! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I'm applying from England for uni in Scotland, so I presume it's the same for both of us :smile:

Basically as we're doing nursing, we get tuition fees paid for by the NHS (don't worry too much about this; I think this is for the uni to sort out and they'll just send any paperwork over the summer)

We're also entitled to a bursary from SAAS. This is just over £6500 per year, and is instead of a maintanence loan or grant (i.e. you can't apply for maintainence loan/grant from any funding authority). You can also apply for DSA or other funding based on whether you have dependants or not.

Applications open soon (no date has been set yet, but it will be this month) and you can apply online on the SAAS website :smile:
Reply 2
Apparently SAAS do the NHS thing :s-smilie: God, it's so confusing!

Also, what is DSA?
Are you applying for anything through like an English funding thing? I'm not sure whether to apply for finance NI or not aswell
Reply 3
Original post by MarianneY
Apparently SAAS do the NHS thing :s-smilie: God, it's so confusing!

Also, what is DSA?
Are you applying for anything through like an English funding thing? I'm not sure whether to apply for finance NI or not aswell

SAAS provide the bursary, which is for living costs etc. The Scottish government pay for your tuition fees.

DSA is disabled students allowance.

I'm not applying to the English funding service for anything; I'm not entitled to. You can only apply to one funding service.

Unless you qualify for DSA, dependants' allowance, single parents' allowance or childcare allowance, you will only be able to apply for the nursing/midwifery students bursary.
Reply 4
Original post by Gnome :)
SAAS provide the bursary, which is for living costs etc. The Scottish government pay for your tuition fees.

DSA is disabled students allowance.

I'm not applying to the English funding service for anything; I'm not entitled to. You can only apply to one funding service.

Unless you qualify for DSA, dependants' allowance, single parents' allowance or childcare allowance, you will only be able to apply for the nursing/midwifery students bursary.

Ok, thank you.
So, we just gotta skim by on the 6,500?

Also, have you thought about accommodation yet? What are you thinking?
Reply 5
Original post by MarianneY
Ok, thank you.
So, we just gotta skim by on the 6,500?

Also, have you thought about accommodation yet? What are you thinking?

6500 is quite a lot to be honest; it's more than I'd get if I stayed in England, and better than the loans most of my friends on other degrees are getting. And it's a bursary which means it doesn't have to be paid back!

As far as I'm aware, most top up their income with part-time or bank work, typically in care homes or at the place where you're on placement etc.

I've already applied for accomodation; gone for the cheapest ones really, just over £3000.
So glad I've finally found a thread about this, I'm in a similar position living in England and going to study somewhere in Scotland.

Some of the accommodation is really expensive, I'm a bit concerned about travel costs too when we're on placement but everyone else seems to manage so I'm sure we all will. My parents are trying to get accepted to take in a student lodger while I'm at uni to bring in a bit of extra money for me, but not sure it will happen. I'm hoping I can get some bank work, but I've heard of quite a few people being unsuccessful for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Charlotte49
So glad I've finally found a thread about this, I'm in a similar position living in England and going to study somewhere in Scotland.

Some of the accommodation is really expensive, I'm a bit concerned about travel costs too when we're on placement but everyone else seems to manage so I'm sure we all will. My parents are trying to get accepted to take in a student lodger while I'm at uni to bring in a bit of extra money for me, but not sure it will happen. I'm hoping I can get some bank work, but I've heard of quite a few people being unsuccessful for it.

Which uni? :smile:

In terms of travel costs, SAAS will reimburse costs to/from placement which are greater than you'd normally spend getting to uni. E.g. if the bus to uni was £2 and the bus to the hospital was £5, they'd pay back £3 I think.
Original post by Gnome :)
Which uni? :smile:

In terms of travel costs, SAAS will reimburse costs to/from placement which are greater than you'd normally spend getting to uni. E.g. if the bus to uni was £2 and the bus to the hospital was £5, they'd pay back £3 I think.

Not sure yet, still waiting to hear back from QMU, if they give me an offer I'll firm that. If not then it's probably going to be Stirling, maybe UWS. I'm very indecisive :colondollar:

That's good news about the travel costs, I've got the bus in Edinburgh a few times when I've been up for open days and the buses seem to be a lot cheaper so that should help too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending