Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Ireland for almost all of my life except for four years from 9-12 when I was in Scotland. People have asked me at university what school I went to in Scotland and it is a private school so people have reacted badly to that.

I am of the opinion that if I had the resources to do so, and only if it was the best school in the area, I would send my children to private school.
    Now I would not do this because I think that it is right in any sense, but because I would want the best for my children, and in today's societies, a lot of private schools are better than state schools in terms of opportunities available and smaller teaching classes for more contact.

Now as we do not have private schools in Ireland, I wanted to know what people think. Would you send your child to private school if you had the resources?

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like an original topic...

People with the money to comfortably do so will generally say yes, because why wouldn't they want the best for their children?

Those without the money to comfortably do so will be mixed between those giving an honest opinion (yes) and those in denial bleating about equality or some such nonsense.

There will be a few that genuinely wouldn't, some of whom will be evil and some of whom will simply have a reason for disliking private school. They will be a minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    This sounds like an original topic...

People with the money to comfortably do so will generally say yes, because why wouldn't they want the best for their children?

Those without the money to comfortably do so will be mixed between those giving an honest opinion (yes) and those in denial bleating about equality or some such nonsense.

There will be a few that genuinely wouldn't, some of whom will be evil and some of whom will simply have a reason for disliking private school. They will be a minority.
    I realise this topic has probably been recycled through this forum a thousand times! I just am a new member and have not engaged in a proper discussion about it.

Well, even if I was struggling to do so, I would also try and send my children to private schools.

When I had the discussion with my friends, none of them agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Defiantly! I think that is try to find a school that would have so for sex lessons but mixed free time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    I have lived in Ireland for almost all of my life except for four years from 9-12 when I was in Scotland. People have asked me at university what school I went to in Scotland and it is a private school so people have reacted badly to that.

I am of the opinion that if I had the resources to do so, and only if it was the best school in the area, I would send my children to private school.
    Now I would not do this because I think that it is right in any sense, but because I would want the best for my children, and in today's societies, a lot of private schools are better than state schools in terms of opportunities available and smaller teaching classes for more contact.

Now as we do not have private schools in Ireland, I wanted to know what people think. Would you send your child to private school if you had the resources?
    First of all: there are private schools in Ireland, they get state funding towards teachers but the rest of their funding comes from the fee-paying parents. There are arguments over whether they should get teacher funding or not.

Secondly: it all depends on the school. Private schools tend to get better results in Ireland because of the pressure put on the students to get the results for the parents and the school's reputation. State schools have a wide variance of pressures, some teachers push their pupils and others do not. Some parents push their children and others don't.

Thirdly: if I was sending my kids to a school in the UK I'd choose a private school because I feel the curriculum is not good enough and I think more pressure and responsibility needs to be out on the pupils which is not done in state schools. In Ireland, I'd not be so bothered. I know the quality of the education is high in Ireland regardless of state or private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    First of all: there are private schools in Ireland, they get state funding towards teachers but the rest of their funding comes from the fee-paying parents. There are arguments over whether they should get teacher funding or not.

Secondly: it all depends on the school. Private schools tend to get better results in Ireland because of the pressure put on the students to get the results for the parents and the school's reputation. State schools have a wide variance of pressures, some teachers push their pupils and others do not. Some parents push their children and others don't.

Thirdly: if I was sending my kids to a school in the UK I'd choose a private school because I feel the curriculum is not good enough and I think more pressure and responsibility needs to be out on the pupils which is not done in state schools. In Ireland, I'd not be so bothered. I know the quality of the education is high in Ireland regardless of state or private school.
    Sorry, I meant the North of Ireland, where we do not have private schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Sorry, I meant the North of Ireland, where we do not have private schools.
    Are you sure?

http://www.deni.gov.uk/index/85-scho...nt-schools.htm

^ check that link....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    Are you sure?

http://www.deni.gov.uk/index/85-scho...nt-schools.htm

^ check that link....
    What I mean is they are not private schools in the sense that they are in the rest of the UK. I attended a Royal School that received a lot of funding from the government. However, there is no gulf between individuals on the basis that there is in England.
    I see what you mean though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.