Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I am fully aware I am being a bit of a lazybum not researching my options before I post threads like this one on TSR.

To all current medics: Do you think your school has early clinical exposure?

I already have a degree in a related science so really want to apply to courses with a heavy focus on the clinical side of things from early on. (Contrast to say, Cambridge where the first three years comprise almost entirely of science)

P.S 5 year A100, not GEP.

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urse_Structure

this link shows which have a pre clinical divide or not. Not all are filled in though, so a bit of research won't go a miss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palindromic)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urse_Structure

this link shows which have a pre clinical divide or not. Not all are filled in though, so a bit of research won't go a miss
    Oooh thank you!! That helps a lot!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why not GEP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musttryharder)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even with a degree, it can make much more sense to apply for A100 - GEP is even harder to get into, so you can maximise your chances of getting in (as long as you meet the entry requirements) by applying for A100.

At least that is the reason I presume he is doing it this way
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Since Cardiff isn't filled in- Currently you have seven 1-day placements in 1st year every fortnight from december with each placement in a different speciality. It is a very nice introduction to the hospital/gp environment. There is less clinical in 2nd yr though and full 8-10 week placements begin from 3rd yr onwards.

I think QUB offer a similar system of 1 day visits throughout first year although im not too sure what specialities are involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    Even with a degree, it can make much more sense to apply for A100 - GEP is even harder to get into, so you can maximise your chances of getting in (as long as you meet the entry requirements) by applying for A100.

At least that is the reason I presume he is doing it this way

I never understood this, surely with a degree youd also need the dreaded 3A's to be eligible for the A100 programme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureDocIA)
    I never understood this, surely with a degree youd also need the dreaded 3A's to be eligible for the A100 programme?
    Depends on the medical school, some will take your degree in lieu of A levels

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I will give GEP a go but realistically, I really don't think my UKCAT score will reach cut offs for quite a few courses (Imperial/King's/Barts/Warwick).

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're aware of the funding issues of doing 5-year as a graduate - very different to doing the GEP so important to ensure that you are rich!!
    You can practice UKCAT and there's always the GAMSAT...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're aware of the funding issues of doing 5-year as a graduate - very different to doing the GEP so important to ensure that you are rich!!
    You can practice UKCAT and there's always the GAMSAT...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a really good point.

Funding is definitely a major issue. I get the feeling I'd have to take on a part time job all the way through med school!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen, they start term two

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.