Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was offered a place at uni down south and my current housemates are emigrating. I have two fantastic cats that are in need of rehoming. Has anyone else been through this? Any advice?

Here they are: Name:  2011-12-10 15.43.24.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  345.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell did you buy two loving cats to rip their hearts out by leaving them at the end of university!

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE!!!

**** sake.

Why can't you just bring them with you?

ReputationRep:
    Try to get the best home possible, preferably someone who has already had experience with that animal before and its always a bonus if you can keep in touch.

been through this a lot with horses, always breaks my heart a little each time

(Also if it gets to moving time and you really dont have anywhere, contact me and if i have moved into animal friendly accommodation, which i plan to and hopefully soon because i want to get a cat, then i will have them.)

ReputationRep:
    Theres two of them right? They'll be ok. Cats are clever. Jokes aside thats pretty sad why the pic too!?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have family who could take the cats while you're at university? If not I would privately rehome to someone you know or someone that can keep you updated if possible.
    Rescues are full to the brim with animals (particularly cats), many end up put down and those that don't face a long wait in a fairly unpleasant environment.

The other option would be to look at private rents rather than halls at university. You may find a pet-friendly rent and be able to take them along.

ReputationRep:
    You knew how long a cat lived when you got them.

This kind of thing actually enrages me.

A CAT IS NOT AN IPAD.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Could never give away a pet. Guess people have different levels of attachment.

Hope they find a loving home, advertise on Facebook see if anyone you know will take them. Then at least (if you care) you can see them.

Poor cats.

ReputationRep:
    I had to go through this with my Dog. Was the worst thing EVER!

My family were made homeless, and were staying on my lounge floor. I tried getting my dog to be with me, but my landlord wouldn't allow it (I even offered him another £100 month in rent on top of the £700 I currently pay - he wouldn't budge!). I had just signed a new lease too. So we had to take him to a day care centre who took him.

This was almost a year ago and I think about him every day, and he is always in my dreams.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's obvious that you should never have bought the cats in the first place, if there was a possibility you wouldn't be able to keep them. If you can't find someone you know who will take them in, then the next best thing you can do is to take them to an animal shelter and hope they are swiftly rehomed.

ReputationRep:
    guys, what's done is done. The OP probably feels badly enough about having to rehome the cats without people saying she should never have got them.
    Please just try and give advice on where she can go from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    You knew how long a cat lived when you got them.

This kind of thing actually enrages me.

A CAT IS NOT AN IPAD.
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Why the hell did you buy two loving cats to rip their hearts out by leaving them at the end of university!

RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGE!!!

**** sake.

Why can't you just bring them with you?
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I think it's obvious that you should never have bought the cats in the first place, if there was a possibility you wouldn't be able to keep them. If you can't find someone you know who will take them in, then the next best thing you can do is to take them to an animal shelter and hope they are swiftly rehomed.

These posts are hilarious

Many students leave for university and have to leave animals behind or rehome them, this is no different.

What if OP had had these cats since they were kittens? Parents got them, OP took over their care and parents do not want them back?
    Hardly capable of predicting the future.

People who slander others about rehoming animals are really ignorant. There are many reasons why OP may need to rehome and we should not judge. Life happens, things change, we can't always predict the future.

At least OP is trying to do the right thing. Good luck OP.

And, what's to say life would be better at his uni for the cats? Cats are very easily stressed and having a rowdy housemate could cause more distress.

Surely, we should be doing what is best for the animal and that isn't always keeping it. If you could 'never give up a pet' that to me is worse, yes they'd have the stability of you but I'm sure they wouldn't want to be homeless/stuck in a house being disliked/given lack of attention.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you're toaster, I'll let you off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    These posts are hilarious

Many students leave for university and have to leave animals behind or rehome them, this is no different.
    No, the vast majority of students leave their parents home to go to uni. Cats live for over ten years on average (maybe more these days), Uni courses last on average three.

Unless you are certain you are staying, and if you aren't you are able to take the cats with you, you would have to be stupid to take them as pets.

Cats are a pet you take when you are settled. You are not settled at uni, so you are being stupid to buy a cat during that time.

What if OP had had these cats since they were kittens? Parents got them, OP took over their care and parents do not want them back?
    Hardly capable of predicting the future.

People who slander others about rehoming animals are really ignorant. There are many reasons why OP may need to rehome and we should not judge. Life happens, things change, we can't always predict the future.

At least OP is trying to do the right thing. Good luck OP.

And, what's to say life would be better at his uni for the cats? Cats are very easily stressed and having a rowdy housemate could cause more distress.

Surely, we should be doing what is best for the animal and that isn't always keeping it. If you could 'never give up a pet' that to me is worse, yes they'd have the stability of you but I'm sure they wouldn't want to be homeless/stuck in a house being disliked/given lack of attention.
    More rubbish.

If's and but's are unimportant. They shouldn't have bought the cat if they weren't committed to looking after them.

You can predict that as a student you probably aren't going to stay in one place for more than a year. Stupid choice of pet at this time of the OP's life.

The OP is doing the right thing, but this could have been avoided. It's the shortsightedness that's pissed me off.

If you are committed to not giving the pet up, chances are you love the pet and shower it in affection. I don't think a lack of attention or dislike is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    No, the vast majority of students leave their parents home to go to uni. Cats live for over ten years on average (maybe more these days), Uni courses last on average three.

Unless you are certain you are staying, and if you aren't you are able to take the cats with you, you would have to be stupid to take them as pets.

Cats are a pet you take when you are settled. You are not settled at uni, so you are being stupid to buy a cat during that time.

More rubbish.

If's and but's are unimportant. They shouldn't have bought the cat if they weren't committed to looking after them.

You can predict that as a student you probably aren't going to stay in one place for more than a year. Stupid choice of pet at this time of the OP's life.

The OP is doing the right thing, but this could have been avoided. It's the shortsightedness that's pissed me off.

If you are committed to not giving the pet up, chances are you love the pet and shower it in affection. I don't think a lack of attention or dislike is a problem.
    Yes, lets assume OP's parents cannot have the cats for whatever reason. Would life at uni be that great for a cat? Assume these are outdoor cats, they'd have to be kept inside for their safety. Now, is that ethical for a cat that's used to roaming?

You're basically saying the OP should give up their uni course for their cats which is frankly ridiculous. The cats in this instance would be far better off with an owner who can give them the time of day. It's incredibly selfish to force a cat to go with you to uni because you cannot let go.

We also don't know the OP bought the cat recently. Another assumption.

You say
    But you are basically manipulating the OP into keeping the cats because you couldn't give your cats up. Therefore there could be a dislike or lack of attention creeping in.

Think of the cat's welfare, not just your own selfishness.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why these morons don't just buy a goldfish or a hamster/mouse/rat, they won't live as long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dpdr)
    Could never give away a pet. Guess people have different levels of attachment.

Hope they find a loving home, advertise on Facebook see if anyone you know will take them. Then at least (if you care) you can see them.

Poor cats.
    Just because you give away a pet doesn't mean your weren't attached to it.

My mum and I rescued a baby goat when I was 13, when I got him he was so tiny and had to be bottle fed. He was my best friend and my baby.

When I was 19 he had to be rehomed as I was leaving for uni and my mum is not strong enough to look after him (He only let me into his field and would charge at anyone else and headbutt them - as is the nature of male goats).

It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, I cried every day for weeks before he was rehomed, and I cried for weeks after he was rehomed.
    This was 3 years ago and I still lie awake at night thinking about him sometimes.

He went to the loveliest home, to live with another goat and some other animals, and the couple who took him were very caring, but I still miss him so much all the time.

You can't just make assumptions about people.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Just because you give away a pet doesn't mean your weren't attached to it.

My mum and I rescued a baby goat when I was 13, when I got him he was so tiny and had to be bottle fed. He was my best friend and my baby.

When I was 19 he had to be rehomed as I was leaving for uni and my mum is not strong enough to look after him (He only let me into his field and would charge at anyone else and headbutt them - as is the nature of male goats).

It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, I cried every day for weeks before he was rehomed, and I cried for weeks after he was rehomed.
    This was 3 years ago and I still lie awake at night thinking about him sometimes.

He went to the loveliest home, to live with another goat and some other animals, and the couple who took him were very caring, but I still miss him so much all the time.

You can't just make assumptions about people.
    The story about your goat is heartbreaking, but at the same time, warms my heart to know there's people who care that much about goats. You clearly have a loving heart, and an even stronger heart to find a loving home for your goat. He must have had such a lovely time with you and i'm sure he will always remember you. I can see exactly why my comment would upset you, it wasn't meant to, and i'm truly sorry for that. I do know what it's like to have to say goodbye to a pet you've loved for so long, and you're right, assumptions aren't fair at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.