Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I don't use Facebook (deleted mine about a year ago), and I'm worried that I'll miss a lot because my preference wouldn't to be to use Facebook. I'm a really sociable guy, but is it naive of me to think I van just text/message people when I do go to Warwick and I won't need to have Facebook?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm hopefully going to Warwick too can you not get facebook re activated and connect it to your phone so you get notifications on your phone when you've been invited to stuff and you don't have to check ? what course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've firmed Warwick and I didn't even realise there was a Facebook page about it! I'll have to go and hunt it. And don't worry, people seem to use their phones as often as they breathe nowadays so that shouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireMB)
    Hey I'm hopefully going to Warwick too can you not get facebook re activated and connect it to your phone so you get notifications on your phone when you've been invited to stuff and you don't have to check ? what course have you applied for?
    Yeah that's a good idea!
    I'm either gonna do maths and physics or physics, I haven't quite decided! What about you?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nazzers)
    Ok, so I don't use Facebook (deleted mine about a year ago), and I'm worried that I'll miss a lot because my preference wouldn't to be to use Facebook. I'm a really sociable guy, but is it naive of me to think I van just text/message people when I do go to Warwick and I won't need to have Facebook?
    In terms of freshers, you'll be fine. The people you will invite you out will invite you by phone/text to start with, as you don't quite know each other well enough to set up Facebook events for it. When it gets to the time when people DO start using Facebook, you should have made it well-enough known that you don't have Facebook for people to invite you by text anyway

However, Facebook, especially for Physics, can be incredibly useful for your course. A LOT of group collaboration happens over Facebook, as well as any hints, tips, cheats, answers etc. that a person has found and wants to share with a big group of people. In lab groups, Facebook will be the preferred way of sharing data and discussing data, rather than big email threads

You won't necessarily NEED Facebook, but it can be incredibly useful at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazzers)
    Yeah that's a good idea!
    I'm either gonna do maths and physics or physics, I haven't quite decided! What about you?
    You will probably hear from word of mouth anyways I'm sure going out is all anyone will talk about for the first few weeks so i doubt you will miss out if you do re activate facebook :P

And management, really looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    However, Facebook, especially for Physics, can be incredibly useful for your course. A LOT of group collaboration happens over Facebook, as well as any hints, tips, cheats, answers etc. that a person has found and wants to share with a big group of people. In lab groups, Facebook will be the preferred way of sharing data and discussing data, rather than big email threads

You won't necessarily NEED Facebook, but it can be incredibly useful at times
    THIS, but in addition, many societies are organised through facebook, and you cannot expect the organiser to remember to text the one awkward fresher who doesn't have fb every time something happens
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I didn't use facebook for Warwick freshers at all! Just made friends and went to events. A guy in my block doesn't have facebook and he was fine in freshers! You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I still HAVE Facebook is uni. If you are ever on a society/club exec then everything will be done through Facebook, pretty much. It makes life a lot more complicated not to have it. That said, from a standard social life point of view it isn't really that crucial at all because you'll make friends who will invite you to things IRL.

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for uni and family, i wouldn't use facebook. For instance, my kitchen have a facebook group which is great for keeping up to date on whats going on in our block etc. Its also nice to add the people i have and will meet during my time at Warwick.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.