The Student Room Group

Will I get kicked out of Uni due to low performance?

Will I get kick out due to low performance? I'm in my 2nd yr now, having failed a first yr exam which i had to resit (which i failed again by a few marks) and I failed two of my January exams as well (again just failed).
We also get assessed on lab practicals which I'm not doing well in also, so I just wanted to know, will I get kicked out?
Reply 1
Why have you been failing?
Have you turned up for lectures?
Have you liaised with the department re: your performance?

Algebraically, there are too many variables to give an answer at the moment
Reply 2
Original post by ekudamram
Why have you been failing?
Have you turned up for lectures?
Have you liaised with the department re: your performance?

Algebraically, there are too many variables to give an answer at the moment

Well I think one big reason might be because I don't get to finish the exam questions, nut I get most of the question done before I run out of time.
Yh I turn up to nearly all of my lecture I would say around 90% attendance,
and no I have not.
Reply 3
what course are u doing ?
Reply 4
Original post by rizzl8
what course are u doing ?

Biomed
How did you get into 2nd year if you failed your first year exams twice?

Also it really depends on the university so you'll have to ask your tutor.
If you mention that you don't finish the exams you'll be able to get a dyslexia test, but you won't get any special consideration for exams you've already done.
Reply 6
It's hard to give a conclusive answer as each university maintains different policies regarding degree progression and reassessment. At mine, the usual procedure is that if you fail a module in your degree and then fail the subsequent reassessment you usually face either expulsion, a meeting with senior faculty members or an academic limbo where your overall marks may be capped or other penalties applied. If you haven't heard anything like this from them directly though then they probably aren't planning anything along those lines though.

I'd get in touch with you faculty or your personal tutor (or equivalent) and talk through your concerns with them. It sounds like you're putting in the effort academically so hopefully it's just a case of maybe not hitting the right requirements in terms of exam techniques -that can be solved with practice.
Reply 7
Original post by therisenmitten

Also it really depends on the university so you'll have to ask your tutor.
If you mention that you don't finish the exams you'll be able to get a dyslexia test, but you won't get any special consideration for exams you've already done.

I really don't know, but I passed all my other first year exams just the one fail...and two second year fail, while passing one second year exam.
Reply 8
You'd probably get called in by your senior tutor first, to let you know that you're in trouble if you don't improve. I suggest you see your tutor before they ask to see you, and tell them the problems you've been having.
You may be eligible for extra time in exams. I'd look into it.
Original post by therisenmitten

Many universities will allow you to carry 1 fail if you pass all of your other modules, at least in first year.
Reply 10
Original post by Eloquai
It's hard to give a conclusive answer as each university maintains different policies regarding degree progression and reassessment. At mine, the usual procedure is that if you fail a module in your degree and then fail the subsequent reassessment you usually face either expulsion, a meeting with senior faculty members or an academic limbo where your overall marks may be capped or other penalties applied. If you haven't heard anything like this from them directly though then they probably aren't planning anything along those lines though.

I'd get in touch with you faculty or your personal tutor (or equivalent) and talk through your concerns with them. It sounds like you're putting in the effort academically so hopefully it's just a case of maybe not hitting the right requirements in terms of exam techniques -that can be solved with practice.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what they say.
Original post by sr90
Many universities will allow you to carry 1 fail if you pass all of your other modules, at least in first year.

Fair enough, my uni is quite strict.
I guess that shows that no one can really answer this question because all unis have different policies.
Reply 12
You might be able to plead your case and resit second year. University's are a business, so they want to squeeze as much tuition fees out of you as possible.

Chances are you'll fail at least one exam again, and then they will kick you out, having got 3 years of tuition from you.
I would recommend being screened for Dyspraxia just as a precaution as you may have a mild form of it. I am yet to finish an exam in my life and I have recently found out I have Dyspraxia that affects your motor skills eg writing etc, look it up! Also speak to your uni about doing your exams on a computer if you will feel you will type it faster. I'm getting to do my next exams on a computer :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Yawn11
You might be able to plead your case and resit second year. University's are a business, so they want to squeeze as much tuition fees out of you as possible.

Chances are you'll fail at least one exam again, and then they will kick you out, having got 3 years of tuition from you.

It's true that they're a business but they also want a good academic record, which means they can't have too many students who fail and keep resitting.
Many factors my friend
Reply 16
Fwiw the mechanism you need to worry about is credits. Every module has a value in credits and you get full credits for any module pass and zero credits for a fail. You can't use a high score in one module to average out missed credits from a failed module.
You need to see the unis academic regulations to be certain what happens if you don't have enough credits at the end of your academic year and at the end of your course.
As others have said, you should make an appointment with your tutor to discuss it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending