Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey
    any ideas on keeping fit but have fun at the same time but not dance
    if you do please write below
    thank you xxx

ReputationRep:
    Join up to sites like foodfocus and myfitnesspal (google them), the community on there's great, you can be anonymous if you like and it's fun to see how everyone's getting along

ReputationRep:
    To keep fit my routine is to run or jog whenever I may use the car even if i'm not that active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enya227)
    Join up to sites like foodfocus and myfitnesspal (google them), the community on there's great, you can be anonymous if you like and it's fun to see how everyone's getting along
    Yeah I'd agree with this, the best way to approach it is not to be alone if possible. The thing is, most people want to be fitter. You can usually find a lot of people to go running with you, for example, since they are likely to be the same (for example, I get all of my flatmates to go running with me even though none of them typically go running or do any exercise).

A lot of apps and communities exist for this now. I personally use RunKeeper which is good as it keeps track of how you're doing and how your friends are doing. So if you see that Clive has done 10k this week and you've done f-all, if you're anything like me you'll get a bit competitive and go out yourself.

Other communities like Fitocracy encourage 'levelling up' and varied workouts, also helping with dietary stuff.

The biggest tip I'd give you is don't aim too high too fast. Don't try and instantly run a 10k, nor try and go to the gym EVERY day because you'll burn out, break the schedule and lose focus. Set yourself realistic, achievable goals and make sure you keep them.

(Obviously getting involved in a team sport is a good idea too, and will benefit your solo fitness on the side. At least half my own fitness work comes from making sure I can properly play for my football team.)

Best of luck, hope this helped somewhat!

ReputationRep:
    Find a sport you like and get into that. Bound to be fun.

Even things like basic hill walking will keep you fit to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    jog? jogging not only helps you build muscle in your legs/butt but also arms and stomach :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    MyFitnessPal is a great app, as someone has already mentioned. It has a comprehensive database of foods, both homemade and shop-bought. On top of that, you can add your own foods and recipes, as well as entering data about cardiovascular and strength exercises.

It shows you how many calories you need to reach your goal, and the breakdown of carbs/fat/protein/vitamins,etc. It's really useful in controlling your diet. That said, exercise is equally important in then process. Personally, I had to be spending money on the gym to motivate myself to work out - otherwise I'd be wasting money! But everyone motivates themselves in their own way.

ReputationRep:
    Why are so many people mentioning food tracking sites as a method of increasing fitness?

Fitness is best increased by physical activity. As long as you are getting enough food to have energy and not so much that you get to the point where your weight puts undue strain on your heart (which are two fairly wide extremes) then food is the least relevant thing for increasing fitness.

BRB... increasing my 5k time with this chicken salad...

ReputationRep:
    To keep fit join a club/sports team do a new something you've always fancied doing this way it will be fun and it will keep you fit at the same time

ReputationRep:
    sports

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.