Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys I have searched high and low but I cannot find the roaming charges for EE in regards to US travel, I have an iPhone 5 so I'd want to use data as well as make phone calls and texts but for the life of me I cannot find the charges

Alternatively would it be better for me to try and unlock my iPhone 5 and get a local sim from AT&T or T-Mobile?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    id unlock it and use a local one you get an excellent rate on tmobile for $3 unlimited texts, browsing and however many minutes.
    You wont get the 4g function on your phone though if i remember rightly due to americans using a different wave length [or whatever its called]

ReputationRep:
    Without even attempting to look, I would bet money that it would be cheaper to unlock your iPhone and use a US sim than it would be to pay EE's roaming charges.

(Original post by Gofre)
    Without even attempting to look, I would bet money that it would be cheaper to unlock your iPhone and use a US sim than it would be to pay EE's roaming charges.
    Can you even unlock the iPhone 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Can you even unlock the iPhone 5?
    Yep, any phone can be :yep:

(Original post by Gofre)
    Yep, any phone can be :yep:
    Do I phone up EE or do I do it another way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Do I phone up EE or do I do it another way?
    A little bit of research helps you know.

Your EE phone is locked so it can only be used on our network. If you want to use a SIM from another network in the phone, you’ll need to get it unlocked first.

HERE’S THE DETAIL

To get your phone unlocked:

• You must be a current customer who’s had the account for at least six months
    • The IMEI must not be blacklisted (we’ll check this for you)
    • Pay monthly customers must have an account balance of zero - everything needs to be paid up to date

NEXT STEPS

It takes up to 20 days to unlock a phone and there’s an admin fee of £20.42. This can be paid by credit or debit card, or if you’re a pay monthly customer you can add it to your next bill, and pay as you go customers can have it deducted from the account balance.

Want to go ahead? Just ring us free on 150 from your EE phone and we’ll get the ball rolling.
    Don't know how iPhones are unlocked, but if it was an Android phone I would do it by myself, there are a million guides on xda. (Maybe there are for iPhones too, don't know.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.