Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm just about to finish my first year at Surrey uni studying maths & finance, and so far to be honest, I am not enjoying it at all. I was wondering if I was to drop out (and therefore, receiving 0 credits) could i apply via UCAS to other unis for the Jan 2014 deadline, without these unis knowing that I studied at Surrey for a short while.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Unless you applied to these other unis beforehand (in which case your ultimate UCAS status would have been made available to them after making your decisions) there's no reason why they should know. I am also planning on applying to another uni after beginning at the one I'm set to go to this autumn, but I will be applying while remaining at uni 1. Wouldn't that be a more sensible option than dropping out and re-applying elsewhere? You may not be successful in which case you'll be left with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpme101)
    Hi there, I'm just about to finish my first year at Surrey uni studying maths & finance, and so far to be honest, I am not enjoying it at all. I was wondering if I was to drop out (and therefore, receiving 0 credits) could i apply via UCAS to other unis for the Jan 2014 deadline, without these unis knowing that I studied at Surrey for a short while.
    Thanks
    Why not finish the year and do a transfer over to 2nd year?
    Also remember this will affect your student finance.

ReputationRep:
    hii there im looking to start an online english/english literature degree (distance learning) any suggestion in which university would offer the course....????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Unless you applied to these other unis beforehand (in which case your ultimate UCAS status would have been made available to them after making your decisions) there's no reason why they should know. I am also planning on applying to another uni after beginning at the one I'm set to go to this autumn, but I will be applying while remaining at uni 1. Wouldn't that be a more sensible option than dropping out and re-applying elsewhere? You may not be successful in which case you'll be left with nothing.
    Thanks for your reply,
    The reason I want to drop out is so that I don't have to declare any of my grades, whereas if I complete the year, I would have to put down my first year grades, hence the unis I'm applying to for the Jan 2014 cycle would know that I have been to another uni (which I don't want them to know 'cus I think it looks bad in my opinion). Plus, I'm really not enjoying the uni, so even if I get left with nothing, I still wouldn't want to study here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Why not finish the year and do a transfer over to 2nd year?
    Also remember this will affect your student finance.
    I figured that since I live in London, I will apply to London uni's only and commute from home when I start; this way with the student lonas/grants I get in year one and two (as the student finance can only back me up for two more years) I can use this to finance my tuition fee for the final year.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for your reply,
    The reason I want to drop out is so that I don't have to declare any of my grades, whereas if I complete the year, I would have to put down my first year grades, hence the unis I'm applying to for the Jan 2014 cycle would know that I have been to another uni (which I don't want them to know 'cus I think it looks bad in my opinion). Plus, I'm really not enjoying the uni, so even if I get left with nothing, I still wouldn't want to study here.
    You have to put down that you've been to uni - if you don't they'll find out anyway. If you lie on your UCAS form they can remove your offer.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You have to put down that you've been to uni - if you don't they'll find out anyway. If you lie on your UCAS form they can remove your offer.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Why do you have to say you've been somewhere else? Lying and just not mentioning it aren't the same
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Why do you have to say you've been somewhere else? Lying and just not mentioning it aren't the same
    In UCAS terms, yes they are. You sign a declaration to say you've included everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    In UCAS terms, yes they are. You sign a declaration to say you've included everything.
    Define 'everything'; should I include my cat's nickname? The impression I've been left with is that if you're re-applying to another uni having previously been at one there's no obligation to say so.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Define 'everything'; should I include my cat's nickname? The impression I've been left with is that if you're re-applying to another uni having previously been at one there's no obligation to say so.
    Then your impression is wrong. You declare all education establishments you've attended since year 7, even if you didn't get a qualification there.

ReputationRep:
    I figured that since I live in London, I will apply to London uni's only and commute from home when I start; this way with the student lonas/grants I get in year one and two (as the student finance can only back me up for two more years) I can use this to finance my tuition fee for the final year.
    You wouldn't need to do this. You are entitled to 4 years of funding.

And....you DO have to include the year at Surrey in any future UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    Because, to put it very bluntly, another Uni has a right to know that you tried Uni once, didnt like it/couldnt cope with it and dropped out. As suggested, finishing the entire year and then applying for a transfer might look a bit more credible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I really am confused! A thread you made last September stated you were in your penultimate year studying Economics at Essex?!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're a first year at Surrey?

Hello there, I'm a first year student studying economics and I was wondering if someone could help me with these questions confirming if they are true, false or not sure with a little explanation/diagram. Thank you very much.

1. A lottery charges ₤10 for a ticket and pays a prize of ₤100 on one in ten of the
    tickets (where the winning tickets are selected at random). A risk-averse
    individual will not buy a ticket.

2.Adverse selection occurs when an individual takes greater risks if she is
    covered by insurance.

3.If a firm in the long run sets its Marginal Rate of Technical Substitution equal
    to the ratio of factor prices then it must be maximising its profit.

Thanks
    Hello there,
    I am entering the penultimate year of my bsc economics degree in Essex university, and didn't really do to well in my first year due to my lack of hard work, which I know is a useless excuse (Got a first class in my econ and calculus module but got like 40's in the rest, so it averaged out to a 2.2). I am currently looking for internships or one year placements in the finance/economics/actuarial field which would commence in the summer of 2013. I was looking at the research assistant sandwich placement under the Bank of England which sounds perfect for me; BUT they have asked for the results of each module in my first year which I wouldnt want them to see 'cus I know these results don't reflect what I am capable of doing. Bearing in mind I have all their UCAS and GCSE requirements, I was wondering if they would really care about my first year or if I should lie or maybe just declare my 'good' module results on the application.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    what's going on here? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Relax yourself... your just being over the top with your "impression"

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, im using my mates account, couldnt be bothered to create one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.