Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a Mature student who will be attending NTU with a young child in september and am looking for a safe family community to move to, any suggestions. (good school district, low crime and easy access to city, variety stores in walking distance)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In Nottingham the nice areas to live are Mapperley, Gedling, Arnold, Wet Bridgeford and Wilford. Not cheap though.

ReputationRep:
    Stay away from St Annes estate if you have a kid. I've known youth workers who've worked there and they hated it. It's a very bad area

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, how is Hucknall? West Bridgford and Beeston are favorable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    West Bridgford and Beeston are quite good. Hucknall is nice. I've been there a few times but not had much chance to have a proper look around.

ReputationRep:
    Great, I appreciate the help!

ReputationRep:
    You might also like to consider somewhere like Sherwood or Arnold. Sherwood is 2 miles from the city (to the north) and it takes around 10 minutes on the bus or 40 minutes walking to get into the university. It's also got lots of young professionals and families in the area with a nice primary school in the area and lots of shops locally (large co-op, wilkos, greengrocers etc). Arnold is a bit further out but preferable to Hucknall (in my opinion - I'm notts born and bred) and about 20 mins on the bus into the city. Lots of nice schools and families in the area.

You'll find both these areas much cheaper to rent in, compared with West Bridgford and Wilford. For properties in Sherwood try Hammond Harwood as they are based just on the main road and I've had really good experiences with them.

I would try and steer clear of Sneinton, The Meadows, St Anns, Radford, Lenton and Forest Fields. All of these areas have nice pockets and are close to the city, but can be a bit on the rough side in places.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent information, I will definitely consider those two options - hopefull I can come up in a few weeks, to do another look around, but this is a perfect start. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hucknall has a tram that goes into city centre like ever 15minutes as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.