Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Leeds uni and I'll spending my 3rd year working in Manchester. I thought it may be an idea to go into private student halls instead of going it alone in terms of accommodation

Could someone give me some a lowdown/advice/tips on where might be best? I'm quite laid back and making some good friends that I can chill out with (and vice versa) is important (also I'd like to be in the city centre!)

ReputationRep:
    What u studying.

ReputationRep:
    Graphic design, I'll be working with design companies throughout next year - so nothing to do with MMU or UoM

ReputationRep:
    This is a moderately comprehensive list http://www.accommodationforstudents....Manchester.asp

However, a few things to be aware of
    - Avoid Opal like the plague - they've just gone bust, but are still trying to take people's money for next year.
    - Unite has a fairly shocking reputation nationally
    - Hartley Hall is an Islamic hall which bans drinking and smoking and enforces gender segregation, but this isn't always obvious from its marketing material
    - Montgomery House is in a seriously rough area, where I wouldn't feel safe walking at night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    This is a moderately comprehensive list http://www.accommodationforstudents....Manchester.asp

However, a few things to be aware of
    - Avoid Opal like the plague - they've just gone bust, but are still trying to take people's money for next year.
    - Unite has a fairly shocking reputation nationally
    - Hartley Hall is an Islamic hall which bans drinking and smoking and enforces gender segregation, but this isn't always obvious from its marketing material
    - Montgomery House is in a seriously rough area, where I wouldn't feel safe walking at night
    Thank you! I'll avoid the ones you listed.
    Aren there any city private halls that have a good, laid back reputation? I've been told about Liberty point, the Hub, student castle - could anyone tell me a bit about those or similar?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what the crowd is like in each of these places? Internationals compared to domestics, how noisy they each are, what sort of social life they have.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too! I know I won't know much about my flatmates but knowing the general crowd is a good start.

ReputationRep:
    Try CRM student accom, i'm going to be a 2nd year student and staying at Ladybarn in Fallowfield

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll check that out too I think I like the look of Lambert Hall for somewhere in the city centre maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannnahks)
    Thanks I'll check that out too I think I like the look of Lambert Hall for somewhere in the city centre maybe?
    Lambert is owned by Opal, so do beware

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh snap, really? I'll cross that out. Are there any good recommendations for the centre of town? (around 5 minutes away from the arndale centre)

ReputationRep:
    Sir Charles Groves Hall is good, but they are only offering studios. Mansion Bank seemed the best - good location, good price, massive rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannnahks)
    Oh snap, really? I'll cross that out. Are there any good recommendations for the centre of town? (around 5 minutes away from the arndale centre)
    Liberty / Millpoint. literally 2 mins away from piccaddily station and about 10mins to city centre. accomodation is really nice and really clean too. Im planning to stay there in sept! check their website out x

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same problem Hannah. Want to go in private halls but can't for the life of me decide which! I'm not massively fussed on price. I'd rather it was nice!

Michelle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm staying in liberty point in sept too and they seem good! But then again I've only experienced a little!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.