The Student Room Group

Cool Particle Physics Experiments

Hi,

I just finished my homemade cloud chamber experiment in which I observed incoming muon trails and interference patterns among them and electrons. Now I'm looking for another cool physics experiment to do (preferably particle physics, and one that's cutting edge). Does anyone know of something that's plausible to build at home (not a particle accelerator)?

Thanks,
Tristan Kleyn
Original post by tristankleyn
Hi,

I just finished my homemade cloud chamber experiment in which I observed incoming muon trails and interference patterns among them and electrons. Now I'm looking for another cool physics experiment to do (preferably particle physics, and one that's cutting edge). Does anyone know of something that's plausible to build at home (not a particle accelerator)?

Thanks,
Tristan Kleyn

I can't quite remember what it was my physics teacher was doing, but it was something to do with dry ice..and it was to do with particle physics.
And it looked very cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tristankleyn
Hi,

Thanks,
Tristan Kleyn

With a charged gold leaf electroscope, a UV light source and a piece of Zinc or some other metals it is possible to demonstrate the photoelectric effect.

Quick Reply