Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I didn't finish my A-Levels but I still want to go to uni. I'm 20 now and the access course seems the best route for me. I'd like to study engineering at university. Civil engineering interests me the most right now.

I live in Warrington and none of the colleges here offer access, so I'll have to commute to liverpool/manchester/somewhere for the course.

Surely somebody on here has done an access course in the north west? I searched TSR and couldn't find anything. Information about the teaching quality, support etc. for access courses in specific colleges is what I'm looking for (especially if you did access to science / engineering!) but any advice is welcome.

Also just want to say that this forum is great, especially all the threads on access courses. I was pretty miserable about my career prospects after I dropped out of A-Levels. I thought I'd missed my only chance at uni, but this forum has shown me it's still achievable :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Hi I did an access course in 2010 at southport college and although it was in social sciences i know there was also a science one. We were in college 3 days a week and i'll now be graduating in acouple of months x

ReputationRep:
    have a look at the Manchester College, they do a lot of Access courses there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry0809)
    Hi I did an access course in 2010 at southport college and although it was in social sciences i know there was also a science one. We were in college 3 days a week and i'll now be graduating in acouple of months x
    Hi! I will add this to my list of colleges to look at. The course they have there seems a little geared towards going into medicine but also says people progress to engineering degrees with it so i'll have a look.

(Original post by kaityy)
    have a look at the Manchester College, they do a lot of Access courses there
    I've looked at their website and it looks pretty impressive, did you go there? If so, what was it like?

thanks for the responses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspdoika)
    Hi, I didn't finish my A-Levels but I still want to go to uni. I'm 20 now and the access course seems the best route for me. I'd like to study engineering at university. Civil engineering interests me the most right now.

I live in Warrington and none of the colleges here offer access, so I'll have to commute to liverpool/manchester/somewhere for the course.

Surely somebody on here has done an access course in the north west? I searched TSR and couldn't find anything. Information about the teaching quality, support etc. for access courses in specific colleges is what I'm looking for (especially if you did access to science / engineering!) but any advice is welcome.

Also just want to say that this forum is great, especially all the threads on access courses. I was pretty miserable about my career prospects after I dropped out of A-Levels. I thought I'd missed my only chance at uni, but this forum has shown me it's still achievable :gthumb:

Hi, i did access to higher education at Bolton University. I live in Leigh so not far from Warrington so if you drive it should't be a problem. I did it in business studies and i am now doing my degree at manchester met.

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at their website and it looks pretty impressive, did you go there? If so, what was it like?
    I didn't go there, sorry, but they do have a very good range of Access courses. Since you want to study engineering, it would be better to do a science/engineering focused course and that was the first NW college that came to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hi aspdoika. I'm most of the way through the "Access to HE Engineering" course at The Manchester College. I've been offered and have accepted first year at The University of Manchester for Meng Mechatronic Engineering.
    What is it that you would like to know exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickletown)
    Hi aspdoika. I'm most of the way through the "Access to HE Engineering" course at The Manchester College. I've been offered and have accepted first year at The University of Manchester for Meng Mechatronic Engineering.
    What is it that you would like to know exactly?
    Congrats on getting to university

So many questions... What are the teachers like? Fellow students? How tough is it to get distinctions? What sort of practical work / engineering-related projects have you done? How many days a week are you in? How advanced is the maths? (I like maths) Could you outline the modules you take and what you learn in them?

Basically, just throw all the information at me you have the time for. The course you're on looks like my best bet at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing an access course at the Manchester college. My course is access to business and computing, not engineering I know however we do share the same maths modules, I know this because I sat in the access to engineering functions module. The tutor is great, a man named Khalid. He also teaches the computer science module on my course. The maths is challenging but as long as you work hard at it then you shouldn't have a problem. I have currently finished 5 maths modules all at distinction so it can be done as long as you study for the exams. All the exams are taken after each module which is great as the knowledge is still fresh in youe mind. Couldn't tell you anything else other than that particular course. Im in 3 days a week (2 half days and 1 full). All in all, its deffently worth it as a means to get to university.

My maths modules are:

Algebraic method - assignment and exam
    Matrices - assignment and exam
    Functions - assignment
    Foundation calculus - assignment and exam
    Calculus 1 - assignment and exam
    Claculus 2 - assignment and exam
    Normal distribution -assignment

Hopw this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I didn't end up doing it in the end but I applied for access to humanities at Wirral Metropolitan College, quite a few people on my degree done it there though and seem to be happy with the teaching and support they received. They do access to science to, however I don't know anyone who done it. The two campuses they hold the access courses at (Conway Park and Twelve Quays) are both in Birkenhead town centre so quick (about 10 mins) and easy to get to from Liverpool via car or train.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.