Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being deliberately starved. Watch

My parents have stopped buying food for the house as they eat elsewhere. Is it ok for them to starve me? This has been going on for three weeks now.

ReputationRep:
    Go and buy your own food then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, what do you mean they eat else where? Why don't you go eat with them wherever there eating? I fail to understand why your parents wouldn't stock any food at their home.

Legally parents aren't allowed to literally starve their children, at least as far as I know.

Well i'm an adult, so they have no responsibility to feed me. I don't work at the moment due to mental illness and other problems. They have decided I can continue to live in their house but they now won't buy any food for me. I am receiving benefits but they have to pay off a moderate amount of debt (my parents are monitoring that situation, and if i don't comply there will be hell to pay), so I can't spend it on food. I doubt i'll have the benefits for much longer as well, as as the process continues I will likley be kicked off due to not being 'ill enough'/a bed ridden vegetable.

They really should just throw me out, this situation is stupid. They went away over the weekend and when they got back my dad said- "So you found something to eat then, you didn't starve. Well obviously as you're still alive."

Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    Well i'm an adult, so they have no responsibility to feed me. I don't work at the moment due to mental illness and other problems. They have decided I can continue to live in their house but they now won't buy any food for me. I am receiving benefits but they have to pay off a moderate amount of debt (my parents are monitoring that situation, and if i don't comply there will be hell to pay), so I can't spend it on food. I doubt i'll have the benefits for much longer as well, as as the process continues I will likley be kicked off due to not being 'ill enough'/a bed ridden vegetable.

They really should just throw me out, this situation is stupid. They went away over the weekend and when they got back my dad said- "So you found something to eat then, you didn't starve. Well obviously as you're still alive."

Nice.
    That's pretty horrible and careless, especially if they know you can't work and it's not your fault. It's horrible that your parents are like that when they should be supporting you.

I can't give much advice, but what I can say is that if you do have the option of living somewhere else or with other people such as friends then take it. Why should you have to suffer when you have the option of leaving to live somewhere else? Don't think you have to stay there if you have somewhere else to go.

Your benefits are for you so if your parents have any debt they can't rightfully take the money and use it. If you decide to live somewhere else most likely it will be sent to you and the new place your living rather than them so they can't use the money.

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    That's pretty horrible and careless, especially if they know you can't work and it's not your fault. It's horrible that your parents are like that when they should be supporting you.

I can't give much advice, but what I can say is that if you do have the option of living somewhere else or with other people such as friends then take it. Why should you have to suffer when you have the option of leaving to live somewhere else? Don't think you have to stay there if you have somewhere else to go.

Your benefits are for you so if your parents have any debt they can't rightfully take the money and use it. If you decide to live somewhere else most likely it will be sent to you and the new place your living rather than them so they can't use the money.
    The debt is my own but my parents know about it. They've told me the benefits im getting need to pay it off. They would have to if i didn't, so they do have some kind of point. (It's my overdraft.)

Yes, this situation is abusive, but I don't have anywhere else to go so I have no choice but to put up with it. They've obviously become resentful of the fact that i'm costing them money. I know they sit and conspire with each other about ways to 'deal with this situation'. They were threatening me with being locked out of my room for the time they're at work 5.30am to 7pm, so I could spend that time 'doing chores'- whatever that entails- probably repeatedly cleaning the oven and scrubbing the grouting in the bathroom each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    The debt is my own but my parents know about it. They've told me the benefits im getting need to pay it off. They would have to if i didn't, so they do have some kind of point. (It's my overdraft.)

Yes, this situation is abusive, but I don't have anywhere else to go so I have no choice but to put up with it. They've obviously become resentful of the fact that i'm costing them money. I know they sit and conspire with each other about ways to 'deal with this situation'. They were threatening me with being locked out of my room for the time they're at work 5.30am to 7pm, so I could spend that time 'doing chores'- whatever that entails- probably repeatedly cleaning the oven and scrubbing the grouting in the bathroom each day.
    Well your options are to go to work and pay it off but you are unable to do that. I guess your only choice is to wait until it's been paid off. How much are you in debt? You could also get some sort of debt advice if it's that bad.

(Original post by yellowcopter)
    Well your options are to go to work and pay it off but you are unable to do that. I guess your only choice is to wait until it's been paid off. How much are you in debt? You could also get some sort of debt advice if it's that bad.

My parents are ********s. I also get intermittent verbal abuse, among other things. Like shutting/shouting me down the moment I air my feelings. I am to pretend everything is rosey whilst being starved and verbally abused OR ELSE. I have no other emotions bar 'cordial' and 'neutral'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)

My parents are ********s. I also get intermittent verbal abuse, among other things. Like shutting/shouting me down the moment I air my feelings. I am to pretend everything is rosey whilst being starved and verbally abused OR ELSE. I have no other emotions bar 'cordial' and 'neutral'.
    Sorry if you have explained this already but how have you eaten for the last 3 weeks if you have no money or food?

(Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Sorry if you have explained this already but how have you eaten for the last 3 weeks if you have no money or food?
    Well i'm eating the crap that's been sat in the cupboards for ages. For example I found some bread from 2010 in the freezer, and defrosted it. Cereal- although this has almost completely depleted so I don't know what I'm going to do after that has gone. I'm sure i'm in for a *******ing when they realise there's no cereal.

Oh! and get this, actually my parents did go shopping today, to buy bits for themselves, I didn't take too much notice but I saw potatoes, and there's ready made salad and butter in the fridge for the baguettes they made themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    Well i'm eating the crap that's been sat in the cupboards for ages. For example I found some bread from 2010 in the freezer, and defrosted it. Cereal- although this has almost completely depleted so I don't know what I'm going to do after that has gone. I'm sure i'm in for a *******ing when they realise there's no cereal.

Oh! and get this, actually my parents did go shopping today, to buy bits for themselves, I didn't take too much notice but I saw potatoes, and there's ready made salad and butter in the fridge for the baguettes they made themselves.
    Lol....ok, well your parents sound a bit insane. What happens if you take that food and make yourself a baguette...would they shout at you about that?

I know you are ill but have you got a plan to leave the house at all? So getting a job and etc

My parents are illogical and insane.

(Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Lol....ok, well your parents sound a bit insane. What happens if you take that food and make yourself a baguette...would they shout at you about that?

I know you are ill but have you got a plan to leave the house at all? So getting a job and etc
    Nothing would happen immediately, but it'd be a mark in the 'costing them money' box in their mind.

Nope. There's no solution. I just wanted to rant. And to let the world outside of this living hell know that it is happening.

ReputationRep:
    If you're capable of ranting on TSR then you can't be that 'mentally ill'. You're an adult now. Go out and get a job and stop making excuses.

(Original post by GeneralOJB)
    If you're capable of ranting on TSR then you can't be that 'mentally ill'. You're an adult now. Go out and get a job and stop making excuses.
    Wow i didn't think of this. If only I'd stop being so incredibly bone idle and lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    Nothing would happen immediately, but it'd be a mark in the 'costing them money' box in their mind.

Nope. There's no solution. I just wanted to rant. And to let the world outside of this living hell know that it is happening.
    Errr well, screw it . I hate when parents expect things back from their children as if they deserve a prize for an achievement. Don't have children if you want something.

Anyway, I would love to help. Except I am a broke medical student.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just move out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    Why don't you just move out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The drawbridge doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahhackett)
    Just because you are an adult it does not mean what your parents are doing isn't abuse. There is help out there for people in situations like this.

Have you tried contacting you local council/job centre as to what addition benefits you may be entitled to? Been to citizens advice bureau and seeked free advice from them?

Also, what element of your mental illness stops you from working? As, if you say your benefits are due to stop soon, where ever you get your benefits from don't actually see as to why you can't work. If you were unable to work due to mental illness, and this has been medical advised, the benefit office has no right to withdraw any of the benefits you are/should be entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This ^. If you don't do anything about it, your parents will probably just carry on and the situation won't get any better. Citizens Advice will definitely be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    Get pregnant, have baby, get council house + child benefits, enjoy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.