Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much should a student expect to pay for utilities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So for a flatshare of 3 students, how much should any one student expect to pay for utilities in one week?

i.e. Gas, heating, electricity and internet? (Personally I'd do without a landline phone and TV license would be paid at the start if desired)

ReputationRep:
    I can't help on figures but don't forget water!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a house of 4, we pay £22.50 for Internet, £55 water, £60 gas and electric and £7 each for insurance. These are monthly not weekly figures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In a house of 3, we pay:

£25 Internet
    £37 water
    £73 gas and electric

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Water is paid for under council tax in Scotland I believe... So surely I would not have to pay for it as a student since we are exempt from Council Tax?

Would giving yourself an extra £10-£20 on average above rent cover everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    Allow more then that!!

It depends how you setup your payments, but you will use significantly more gas and electricity in the winter then the rest of the year. Some payment schemes even this out, some do not.

I can't give you exact figures for our house since we have a combined gas and electric bill but allow £50 to be safe.

Also bare in mind that most broadband solutions require a phone line. Virgin don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCLeblanc)
    Allow more then that!!

It depends how you setup your payments, but you will use significantly more gas and electricity in the winter then the rest of the year. Some payment schemes even this out, some do not.

I can't give you exact figures for our house since we have a combined gas and electric bill but allow £50 to be safe.

Also bare in mind that most broadband solutions require a phone line. Virgin don't.
    :eek:

I think you seriously need to cut down on your electricity usage or whatever it is that's costing you that much if you're needing to put aside £50 a week for your share of the bills!

£10-£20 should be perfectly fine imo, in fact I'd say more £10-£15.

ReputationRep:
    Water is paid for under council tax in Scotland I believe... So surely I would not have to pay for it as a student since we are exempt from Council Tax?

Yes water is covered in Scotland. I'm in a 2 bedroom flat in Scotland, we pay £70 per month on gas and heating combined (that's £35 each). Internet works out at about £12 at the moment (so about £6 each). Thought these charges were pretty dear but a lot of my friends are paying more.

ReputationRep:
    So for a flatshare of 3 students, how much should any one student expect to pay for utilities in one week?

i.e. Gas, heating, electricity and internet? (Personally I'd do without a landline phone and TV license would be paid at the start if desired)
    You've got 2 options. The normal rate or the zero rate. Depends who you go with.

ReputationRep:

depends on your heating company (British gas or Scottish Power) but that amounts to £40 per month per person and this is the majority of the bill as it is your cost of hot water as well,

using cold water costs peanuts, about £10 per month per person

electricity can also be provided by most heating companies so they combine them into one bill so it averages £60 per month per person for both gas and electricity.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! I think I'll be happy with anything under £20 per week. If it's more like £10 then all the better!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! I think I'll be happy with anything under £20 per week. If it's more like £10 then all the better!
    Don't forget that things like lack of double glazing, high ceilings, leaky doorframes etc can add quite a bit onto the bills!

And that some energy companies will give you discounts if you go through their direct debit schemes. Got a discount like this with Scottish Power, we pay a set amount each month via direct debit and settle the balance at the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    :eek:

I think you seriously need to cut down on your electricity usage or whatever it is that's costing you that much if you're needing to put aside £50 a week for your share of the bills!

£10-£20 should be perfectly fine imo, in fact I'd say more £10-£15.
    Ahhh, no sorry meant £50 a month.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.