The Student Room Group

Choice between Strathclyde MBA and Warwick (WMG) MSc IAE

Hi everyone,

I got offer for MBA from Strathclyde and MSc Innovation and Entrepreneurship from WMG (Warwick). I have 4 yrs experience in the design field and I decided to study more on business before starting my own business after graduation.

These two programme are very good but because I came from design field so It's hard to compare these two business programme with the clear picture that which one is more practical and suit to me.

Please give me your advice. I will be so appreciated.

Thanks
Pattisan:smile:
Hi Pattisan,

I am currently doing the Strathclyde MBA on a full-time basis having started in September 2012 and finishing end of this year. I am a radio frequency (RF) engineer. I have done my studies in RF systems design and implementation. Prior to joining Strathclyde, I was working full time designing RF performance tests and was heavily involved in product validation for a 4th Generation chipmaker company.

With respect to the Strathclyde MBA, there is the Operations Management module that deals extensively on design whether it being process design or product/service design and innovation as well. The course assignment does require the student to assess a company’s typical design process and predisposition at being innovative. We actually went to visit a production facility as part of the real-life implications of the theory we are taught and I can say that as an engineer I really appreciated the emphasis they put on showing how involved the whole process is, that is, from the drawing board to the production line. This module is part of the core syllabus.

Furthermore, in the Analytical Support for Decision Making module, we are taught multi criteria decision analysis along with a program called V.I.S.A where we are taught how to select the best choice based on a very elaborate decision exercise involving countless variables impacting the choice. I think this is a great tool especially in the context of design where we have to juggle with some many trade-offs.

The Strathclyde MBA looks at a variety of subjects that are pertinent for business; so we do study marketing, finance, people management and strategy among others. The choice of electives is interesting as well with modules such as Managing Innovation being offered. You will find at Strathclyde a great mix of theory and practical applications that really help to augment the learning process to become a well-rounded manager.
Personally I am enjoying the learning experience and I would recommend you to choose Strathclyde for doing your MBA.

Mehdi
Hi Pattisan

Mehdi is my colleague in the current MBA cohort and I would like to add a few points to support him.

I have a finance background and I worked with one of the BIG 4 accounting firms before I joined the Strathclyde MBA.

I chose Strathclyde over other business schools I had applied to because of the following reasons:

1) The diversity in the classroom is simply outstanding. We have 15 nationalities in the current cohort which has 32 members. Most students come from diverse industry backgrounds. This experience I found is unparalleled.

2) The vast range of electives offered by Strathclyde pretty impressive with modules such as
Business Process Management with SAP, Strategic Decision Making, Games of Strategy and Global Operations Strategy to name a few.

3) Not only one can choose to do an elective in the SBS glasgow campus, but you can even opt for an exchange programme with EM Lyon (France) and other partner universities. This gives students an extra edge to experience different cultures and courses in other schools.

4) The Business school is triple accredited by AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA, one of the very few schools (only 1%) in its league.

5) Apart from the accreditation, Strathclyde was chosen as the University of the Year (2012) by Times Higher Education in addition to being ranked in the Financial Times.

6) The MBA in SBS has a special focus on strategy with one complete semester devoted to modules such as strategy analysis making strategy and strategic consulting in practice which would help you start your own business.

7) One very unique module I reckon would suit you is the Entrepreneurial Leadership and Management (which is in the 3rd semester this year) where one learns how to adapt to rapidly changing market places.

8) Finally, the business school has a dedicated entrepreneurship cell by name Hunter Centre For Entrepreneurship. This center holds many events such as S100 and other networking events apart from dedicating itself to entrepreneurial research and training to students.

With regard to your previous work experience, Mehdi has done a good job of relating what the MBA has in store for you.

I agree with Mehdi when he says that he is enjoying the course. It must add that the MBA at strath is very challenging and you find yourself being pushed to work harder and think creatively with every module you pass. I would highly recommend Strathclyde Business School to you and please let me know if I can answer any specific queries you might have.

Regards
Hemant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending