Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have three sentences I desperately need to correct for a speech I am giving in about twelve hours.

One is: je suis en France depuis deux semaines.
    I am trying to say: I have been in France for two weeks. How do you say that? My godfather (bless him) with his incredibly rusty French told me I made it sound like I was French?

Second one: Je ne voir jamais ma soeur mais je l'adore
    I am trying to say I never see my sister but I love her.

Third one: Alors je me presente.
    I am trying to say, "let me introduce myself"

Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imayormaynotexist)
    Hi all,

I have three sentences I desperately need to correct for a speech I am giving in about twelve hours.

One is: je suis en France depuis deux semaines.
    I am trying to say: I have been in France for two weeks. How do you say that? My godfather (bless him) with his incredibly rusty French told me I made it sound like I was French?

Second one: Je ne voir jamais ma soeur mais je l'adore
    I am trying to say I never see my sister but I love her.

Third one: Alors je me presente.
    I am trying to say, "let me introduce myself"

Any help would be much appreciated.
    j'ai été en france depuis deux semaines

je ne vois jamais ma soeur, mais je l'aime.

permettez-moi de me présenter

ReputationRep:
    1) that's nearly right. In French you say I have been in France since 2 weeks
    J'ai ete, with accents, as te above poster said would be right

2) conjugate voir, it's in the infinitive and you want the first person present.

Je ne vois jamais

3) I've never actually had to say that but I think that's right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    1) that's nearly right. In French you say I have been in France since 2 weeks
    J'ai ete, with accents, as te above poster said would be right

2) conjugate voir, it's in the infinitive and you want the first person present.

Je ne vois jamais

3) I've never actually had to say that but I think that's right
    Thanks very much (both of you).

Callu-m, did you mean the above posters reply to number 3 was right, mine was right of that they were both right? I haven't been learning French very long so this is quite stressful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurie)
    j'ai été en france depuis deux semaines

je ne vois jamais ma soeur, mais je l'aime.

permettez-moi de me présenter
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:

Callu-m, did you mean the above posters reply to number 3 was right, mine was right of that they were both right? I haven't been learning French very long so this is quite stressful!
    I thought yours was right but apparently not. I'd ask her, my French is laughable

ReputationRep:

yours also works, it depends on the tone of whatever you are doing though.

yours is more "chatty", mine is more formal. sorry i should have explained! that one was to give choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm French:

1- Je suis en France depuis deux semaines.
    2- Je ne vois jamais ma soeur mais je l'aime.
    3- Tout d'abord, je vais me présenter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    I thought yours was right but apparently not. I'd ask her, my French is laughable
    Cheers anyway, your French is better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers anyway, your French is better than mine.
    I've been doing it five years and still make stupid grammatical errors like not conjugating a verb. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UEMadrid)
    I'm French:

1- Je suis en France depuis deux semaines.
    2- Je ne vois jamais ma soeur mais je l'aime.
    3- Tout d'abord, je vais me présenter.
    Cool do you mind me asking why it's not 'mais je l'adore'? I know the usual word for loving AND liking someone is aimer, but are there situations where you would say 'adorer' to emphasise the fact it's love rather than merely liking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurie)
    yours also works, it depends on the tone of whatever you are doing though.

yours is more "chatty", mine is more formal. sorry i should have explained! that one was to give choice.
    Ah, thanks. Do you think it would be ok to introduce yourself to a school class (of children your age)?

ReputationRep:
    And, sorry everyone, but is it voiR or voiS?

Edit: my mistake, you all said vois. Thank you everybody.

ReputationRep:
    ONE FINAL THING

Does anyone know how to say "he is at university?" is it il est a universite? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks everyone for your help.

ReputationRep:
    ONE FINAL THING

Does anyone know how to say "he is at university?" is it il est a universite? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    "Est-il à l'université?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BooksOfWonder)
    "Est-il à l'université?"
    Whoops, that wasn't meant to have a question mark in it.

Would that be "he is at university." as well?

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, that wasn't meant to have a question mark in it.

Would that be "he is at university." as well?
    Oh ok! I thought it was a question, sorry!
    Then it is "Il est à l'université."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tree123)
    CAN SOMEONE READ MY PARAGRAPH PLEASE

Bienvenue dans mon ville s’appelle Leicester,

Leicester est une ville de taille moyenne, dans le centre de l’Angleterre. Il y a à peu près trois cent milles habitants àLeicester. Leicester est à cent trente-trois kilomètres au nord de Londres. Leicester est loin de Cardiff. Leicester c’est une ville industrielle, touristique et commerciale. C’est une ville extrêmement cosmopolite parce que c’est la ville la plus multiculturelle de l’Angleterre. À Leicester, il y a une très bonne équipe de rugby qui s’appelle Leicester Tigers. On peut aller au théâtre qui s’appelle le Curve, mais, il ya aussi plusieurs théâtres éparpillés autour de Leicester. Malheureusement Leicester n'a pas de patinoire ou tous ni aucun monuments célèbres, cependant on peut visiter les murs romains, les églises et la rivière Soar. Leicester a deux universitaires universités qui s’appellent De Montfort et Leicester. Les étudiants représentent 12% de la population, ce qui est un grand pourcentage. L’ADN a été découvert à l’université de Leicester. On peut visiter les musées à Leicester. Entre autres il y a le plus gros dinosaure d’Europe au ainsi qu’une collection d’objets égyptiens. On peut associer Leicester avec plusieurs personnes célèbres comme Gary Linnekar ou David Gower. Dans le passé, il y avait beaucoup de distractions a Leicester comme le théâtre, le cinéma, la mairie, et une horloge. Le meilleur marché de Leicester existe depuis 100 ans (best market ? of what the area ?).

Thanks
    what grade would i get
    + how could i make it better?
    That's a quick review on your work. Hope it helps.

NB : I think when words follow "aucun", you don't use plurial. But I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T3mp3sT)
    That's a quick review on your work. Hope it helps.

NB : I think when words follow "aucun", you don't use plurial. But I'm not so sure.
    Thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameritus)
    Cool do you mind me asking why it's not 'mais je l'adore'? I know the usual word for loving AND liking someone is aimer, but are there situations where you would say 'adorer' to emphasise the fact it's love rather than merely liking?
    no because it is your sister... it is difficle mais you just use it. if you wanted to say you like your sister you can say "je l'aime bien"

j'adore mon meilleur ami, mais j'aime mon copain... or je kiffe mon meilleur ami, mais mon copain, je l'aime.

but of course it is all pretty amiguous. you have to know from context. i can say je te kiffe = i like you (in a date me way) but also platonic, just like english. this is slang btw. je t'adore, i can say this to my best friend, also je t'aime, mais i can't to some guy who has expressed his love for me and i don't reciprocate, i would say, "je t'aime bien mais..."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.