Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was having a look at this example and I understand what they have done but there are 1 or two things. It's not shown on the attatchnenr but at the bottom of the page it says what further info would be required to find the centre of the circle and the answer is the radius or perpendicular distance of AB. They found the midpoint of AB and got 6,1 but isn't this the centre of the circle ? Im having trouble seeing why 6,1 isn't also the centre of the circle..on the sketch they gave us I drew a circle round it to picture what they were telling us in the question but that's probably what has confused me :rollseyes:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    WILL GIVE rep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasualSoul)
    WILL GIVE rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't really see the picture but:
    The perpendicular bisector of any chord will pass through the centre of a circle.
    That chord may or may not be the diameter. I think you have assumed it is the diamter.
    I would suggest that the chord you have found simply forms a minor segment rather than a semicircle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.