Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I Have Been Dating My Girlfriend For 4 Months And Want To Ask Her To Marry Me Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am 24 years old and in B-School. I have been dating my beautiful girlfriend for 4 months now and we spend almost all our time together. She is my life and the girl I have been waiting for my entire life. We finish school in 6 months and I intend to ask her to marry me once that happens. She has also confessed to me that I am the guy she has been waiting for her whole life and we frequently talk about living together and when we were drunk the other night, talked about having kids together.
    However, sometimes she does say that she is commitment-phobic which is a bit confusing. How do I plant that seed in her head from now and prepare her for what I'm going to ask her in 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    Too soon in my opinion. What is the rush to get married?
    Live together for a while before you get married, you'd be amazed what little niggles are exposed when you share a room/house/life with someone to that extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukev)
    Live together for a while before you get married, you'd be amazed what little niggles are exposed when you share a room/house/life with someone to that extent.
    Well by married, I mean I'm going to ask her to marry me. We'll then get engaged and live together for a while before actually getting married. We've spoken about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukev)
    And I'm really not trying to discredit your answer in any way but we have shared a room in college for the past 3 months out of 4.

ReputationRep:
    My parents met and married within six months, and they've been together nearly twenty-three years.

In my opinion, four months is a bit early. Don't get me wrong, these things can workout, but at the end of the day your still on the 'honeymoon-period'/new relationship era where everything about her seems awesome. :-)

Give it a year, and then you'll see what happens.
    Also, remember you are only twenty-three, and you still have the rest of your life ahead of you. Marriage is a lifetime commitment, not something that can be picked up and played with at a moment's notice.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you plan to marry her you can both sit down and have a frnjk conversation about your future without having to resort to planting seeds?

ReputationRep:
    You're still in the "honeymoon period" of your relationship so everything is new and exciting. You should wait a while first, try living together and make sure that it's not just this first few months where everything is great that's making you think about marriage. You can't be prepared to spend the rest of your life with someone you've only been with for four months. Also, if she says she's worried about commitment then proposing to her after only a year together could frighten her off. Just enjoy what you have without worrying about the commitment and if all is well from there, then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeartist89)
    I am 24 years old and in B-School. I have been dating my beautiful girlfriend for 4 months now and we spend almost all our time together. She is my life and the girl I have been waiting for my entire life. We finish school in 6 months and I intend to ask her to marry me once that happens. She has also confessed to me that I am the guy she has been waiting for her whole life and we frequently talk about living together and when we were drunk the other night, talked about having kids together.
    However, sometimes she does say that she is commitment-phobic which is a bit confusing. How do I plant that seed in her head from now and prepare her for what I'm going to ask her in 6 months?

If I were you, (unless you are intending to live in different cities) I would rather not planting that seed but keeping that seed for the further spring',springs because in my opinion "commitment-phobic " is just another way of saying " I know that you want to marry with me but It's just too soon " However that doesn't mean that you are not the right one for her,Its just the fact that she is not ready for it.

And instead of proposal of marriage,why don't you propose to live together ? And then in a year or two proposing the marriage ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Well i think if you could not live without her then just go for it and have beautiful kids in future.
    All the best dude...

ReputationRep:
    How do I plant that seed in her head
    Girls prefer seeds to be planted elsewhere. Get her pregnant and then she can't say no :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do as you wish but bear in mind at your age and length of relationship I am doubtful that is going to end well, girls today within that age range and within that relationship length are unlikely to respond well to a proposal.

Especially considering your object of affection has stated that she is a commitmentphobe. Not confidence building.

Best of luck OP, don't take it too hard if she shoots you down or the engagement falls apart, and especially if your friends and family have reservations about it, that's life and you're young. Plenty of time down the road to marry someone.

ReputationRep:
    Be careful because if it's too soon you'll scare her off and as well as that- what's the rush? You're young! Enjoy life a little and wait to settle down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debdener)
    My parents met and married within six months, and they've been together nearly twenty-three years.

In my opinion, four months is a bit early. Don't get me wrong, these things can workout, but at the end of the day your still on the 'honeymoon-period'/new relationship era where everything about her seems awesome. :-)
    Same, but my parents starting going out in October and my Dad proposed in february, they've been married over 20 years..... (they had known eachother a few years though i guess)

People do fall in love that quickly, and you evidently can meet 'the one' and know that soon

However, OP, i'm not saying this is true for you! Just giving the other side of the argument to everyone else on here

ReputationRep:
    I often talk about the same thing with my boyfriend, getting married, children etc, and we've been going out for over two years now. From a girls perspective although I know I do want to get married to him in the future if he asked me I would panic. Ii think it's natural when your young to not fully know what you want, and even if you know it's what you want eventually marriage is a big commitment. If she's not going anywhere I wouldn't rush it. Just continue talking about small things together in the future, plan a holiday together and small goals that continue your relationship but don't involve quite such a scary leap.

ReputationRep:
    You want to ask a commitment phobic girl to marry you after 4 months of dating... please come back once you have and let us know how it worked out for you

ReputationRep:
    What does B-school mean??
    Do you mean business school!?!

ReputationRep:
    Boarding school?

ReputationRep:
    Update: She was talking to me and said she likes how I am not 'nauseatingly sweet'. She said, 'I can think of a situation where you will be nauseatingly sweet though'. I asked her what. And she replied, 'When I'm pregnant'.
    Confusing

ReputationRep:
    Don't be an idiot. You need to live with someone for at least 1-2 years before you should even think about marriage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.