Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How good could I get at playing the violin in a year and a half? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am just curious as I haven't played an instrument since the piano a couple years ago and would just like to know how good I could get in terms of a grade and I can read basic sheet music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    I am just curious as I haven't played an instrument since the piano a couple years ago and would just like to know how good I could get in terms of a grade and I can read basic sheet music.
    Depends on how naturally talented you are and how many hours you play per day. When I first started, I could read sheet music in a few months, fluently. In a year, you could definitely pass grade 1, if you have a lesson per week, and practise for 15min a day. With more lessons and constant playing, obviously, it's quite reasonable to hit grade 2 or even 3.

If you can play the piano, then you're in luck. The violin only requires the treble clef.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasabi)
    Depends on how naturally talented you are and how many hours you play per day. When I first started, I could read sheet music in a few months, fluently. In a year, you could definitely pass grade 1, if you have a lesson per week, and practise for 15min a day. With more lessons and constant playing, obviously, it's quite reasonable to hit grade 2 or even 3.

If you can play the piano, then you're in luck. The violin only requires the treble clef.
    I will start soon, I hope it is a successful conquest!

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get from never having touched a viola (or other bowed string instrument) to passing my grade 5 with merit in 4.5 months. Admittedly I was diploma standard clarinet before I started, but if you set your mind to things you can definitely make a decent amount of progress.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It depends how good you are at music already, how well you take to it, how much practise you do and how good a teacher you get. I know people who have become excellent violin players in similar timescales, but I know a lot more people who have taken longer. Most of the people who I have seen try have given up within a month.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, violin is quite a hard instrument to play, harder than the piano, in my opinion, if you have basic music theory knowledge and can read sheet music then it would be really quick to start, I started teaching myself a few months back and I think I would be on grade 1 right now maybe 2 but if you get a teacher you would progress faster

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With zero to little experience maybe grade 1-2? doesn't sound like much but if you stick to it you can do a lot more a lot quicker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alleykat606)
    With zero to little experience maybe grade 1-2? doesn't sound like much but if you stick to it you can do a lot more a lot quicker!
    The average chump manages to get to grade 2 in a year and a half, with the bog standard seeming to be 'a grade a year', so someone with a musical background who pushed themselves could easily get to grade 4.

ReputationRep:
    Probably grade 1 or 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    Taking into account the fact you can already read basic sheet music, i'd say you could possibly get to grade 2 or 3 standard within a year if you really work hard at it. Obvisoluy its a completely different playing technique to piano so it would tak time get used to but it will be very fulfilling in the end

ReputationRep:
    Within one year, can a novice play something like this? (what level do you consider this?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.