Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post (redirect me please).

Anyway, I'm currently looking into the support in schools for mental health and would appreciate some first hand input (unfortunately i suffered in silence during my time at school...)

This is completely anonymous and if you'd rather not put your location or gender that's fine. However i need the age to keep track of how things may have changed over time, so if you'd rather not put that, please at least give me some idea of when you were in school (the year you finished/are going to finish or something)
    Thanks a lot

Have you ever received support for mental health problems during school?
    If not, why?

Lack of information about who to talk to
    Didn’t realise there was help available
    Didn’t feel comfortable doing it
    Other (please specify)

If you have received support during school:
    How did you find out about/get involved with this support?

How long did you stay with the support?

How did the school help you during this time?

In what ways did they give you support?

Did the school make available support clear and accessible?

Was there a lot of information regarding where to go/who to talk to?

Did you feel comfortable talking to the member(s) of staff?

Did you feel you were taken seriously during this time?

Was there anything specific you felt dissatisfied with during this time?

Thanks a lot for your input

ReputationRep:
    Male, 17, South Wales

Was being bullied. Some ***** was going around school accusing me of stalking her when it never happened, she was a friend that turned on me and knew I had previously been attacked. Her and her friends just told everyone and anyone. To be accused of doing something similar to what I went through was horrible, and people who used to talk to me started to blank me. I told the teachers but they did nothing.

It was having an affect on me daily. I didn't want to go to school anymore as I felt paranoid over not being wanted. I tried to stay away as much as possible. I was going home smashing the house up, crying on my paper round and to/from school. I talked to the school counsellor but they didn't take much action against the bully. I left school as a result.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gender female
    Age 22
    Location gloucestershire

Have you ever received support for mental health problems during school? Yes

My friends made me speak to my tutor who gave me advice/ referred me on.

Um....well I only had 3 weeks left at school before exams but they let me continue coming into school for counselling until the end of the school year. Then I was referred by the counsellor onto another service where I had therapy for 10 months.

they gave me other options before they would let me see a counsellor which was frustrating because I knew it wouldn't help. It was phoning a helpline mainly.

Helpline, counselling

Not within the school. I knew there was a counsellor but wouldn't have known how to self refer. I didn't really know who i had to speak to.

Not really.

Yes, although it took me a while to tell my tutor as I didn't want my parents to be told.

Yes and no. Towards the end it was, but at the beginning I didn't know what to do/ what was happening.

That other teachers weren't aware of what was going on and it was left to me to explain why I wasn't in lessons etc. it would have been nice for them to have all known so they could have been a bit more lenient.

Hope this helps.....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:

Have you ever received support for mental health problems during school?
    Yes, during school, but not at school.

Throughout my childhood I was having issues with my family, and in primary school and at one of the secondary schools I attended. These problems were having a detrimental effect on my life so I realized that I needed counselling and a lady at my school gave me the number and address of a counselling service for young people in the borough.

Through that service I had counselling twice.

The head and deputy head (of the 6th form) were supportive, my mentor less so.

They were very understanding about the fact that I'd had leave early in order to go to my sessions. In fact they didn't really know much about it, but they didn't push me to reveal details, which was good.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes I felt comfortable with the counselling services recommended to me by my school, but not with the mentor at my school.

I felt as though the people at the counselling service were very nice, non-judgemental and supportive, and yes, they did take me seriously. Though I now need further help, counselling was definitely a great starting point. On the other hand, I felt as though my mentor, who many people had recommended, didn't take me so seriously despite the seriousness and complexities of my situations.

I think schools should have a mental health services as part of pastoral care, and I think mental health should be taught in schools. I also think members of staff at school need to put out a message that no matter who you are, you will be taken seriously.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.