Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am about to get me final payment of student finance for this year on 15th April. However, my current circumstances are that I am a single mum of three doing year 1 of my three year degree.

I am thinking of allowing my partner (not the childrens dad) to move in with me. This will obviously mean I am no longer a lone parent. We would claim working tax credits i presume and he is on a low income of just above the minimum wage.

However, I am worried if he moves in at the end of April or early June will it mean I owe back money to student finance for the money paid to me in April?

Also will I still qualify for help with childcare payments and living costs from student finance next year?

Kind Regards

Nicola
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Nix,

If your partner is moving in over the next couple of months then realistically you don't need to advise us this.

You will need to include his income information on your application for your next year of student. As you will no longer be a single parent you will no longer be entitled to the Special Support Grant but you will still receive the Maintenance Grant although your Maintenance Loan may be reduced slightly depending on how much your partner earns.

If the combined household income will be 25k or lower you'll still qualify for the full grant and you will still be entitled to receive Childcare Grant and Parents' Learning Allowance.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! This helps alot and yes income would be below 25k. Thank you I didnt want to let him move in if it was going to affect my studies so I can let him know he is welcome now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Best of luck for your move

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.