The Student Room Group

OCR C4 (not mei) 18th June 2013 revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Proof there are 3 stationary points for those wondering:

IMG_1040.jpg
IMG_1041.jpg
Original post by a10
but cos x cant be zero the limits of x where greater than zero and less than pi? therefore u can divide by cos?

cosx=0 gives you pi/2 which is within the limits though. The limits are for x, not for cosx
Reply 582
For the balloon question, for inverse proportion I did 1/k multiplied by Sq. root of R, instead of k/Sq.root R. As a result, I got the answers wrong. But I did the correct integration etc. for the differential equation.

Does anyone know if I lost the whole 9 marks ? :frown:(( Or will I get error carried forward, and only lose about 2-3 marks? Thanks, I'm really scared, as I need an a*
Reply 583
Original post by habs10
For the balloon question, for inverse proportion I did 1/k multiplied by Sq. root of R, instead of k/Sq.root R. As a result, I got the answers wrong. But I did the correct integration etc. for the differential equation.

Does anyone know if I lost the whole 9 marks ? :frown:(( Or will I get error carried forward, and only lose about 2-3 marks? Thanks, I'm really scared, as I need an a*

I'd guess you should get 4/5 if you subbed in their values to give you a k and c
Reply 584
Original post by tooambitious
No, because it could be 0, can you divide by 0?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trueee,.. owned him
Original post by tooambitious
You haven't disproved what I said. Given that there were three stationary points, you've actually made my point.
One SP was cos(x)=0. Standard C2 level question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

thought u were saying you couldn't take out cosx.. but yh, I only calculated 2 anyways, we're was the third?
Original post by Holz888
cosx=0 gives you pi/2 which is within the limits though. The limits are for x, not for cosx

Oh noooo I dropped that value, I completely forgot about it.

Basic error right there :frown:

I let myself down SO much in this exam. So many stupid mistakes caused by me just being stupid and losing my head.
Original post by Namige
Trueee,.. owned him

Don't mean to sound like a prick, just really surprised people are asking this question at C4 level, how did you do C2 :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Original post by habs10

It doesn't matter, If you work out 1/k, it will still be the same as k if you did it properly. As it's just a constant.

For example

n = 1/5
1/n = 5

n=5
1/n=5
Reply 589
Original post by Benjy100
This is effectively a preliminary markscheme until Mr M posts his full definitive solutions. Some of my answers may be wrong. Spoilered incase you don't want to see them :smile:

*A few additions have been made to the markscheme* - namely the cartesian equation (forgot to put it in)

Spoiler

Thankyou!! I forgot to plug x values back in to find y values for question 4.

Would it be okay to write 1/2ln(root3) ? Did they specify the format?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habs10

They never specified that it be C/Sq.root R, so surely 1/(K Sq.root R) is still valid as 1/k is just a constant as is C. All this means is that you're final answer will look different to anyone else who did C/Sq.root R, but may still be a correct answer.

There's still hope!

However, if you did (1/k) * Sq.root R I would imagine you would lose some marks (such as for M1 at the start and the final answer mark), but I think you would get the rest of the marks for such a big question (i.e. error carried forward).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Namige
Trueee,.. owned him

lool calm your tits, I was clearly thinking of something different to you two.. I was just saying you can take it out of the equation to find values for x.. no need for the cheerleading
Reply 592
I forgot to sibstitute x back into u, would that cost me 1 or 3 marks?
Original post by ActaNonVerba
thought u were saying you couldn't take out cosx.. but yh, I only calculated 2 anyways, we're was the third?

Cos(x) = 0 where x=PI/2
Sin(x)=1/2 (iirc) where x= 5pi/6 or pi/6

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 594
Original post by zmai

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine :smile: they said a ln b.. No indication that b must be an integer
Reply 595
Original post by zmai

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup, agree with all apart from the volume, which you obviously didn't do lol
Original post by h2shin
I forgot to sibstitute x back into u, would that cost me 1 or 3 marks?

Mark scheme isnt that harsh. You'll probably lose 1 since it was the last step.
Original post by zmai

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that this would be okay because the question never specified what type of numbers "a" and "b" needed to be (i.e. rational, integer etc.) when in the form a ln(b).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 598
Anyone have any idea of what grade boundaries will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a10
but cos x cant be zero the limits of x where greater than zero and less than pi? therefore u can divide by cos?

...Forgot about the limits.
EDIT: Cos(pi/2)=0
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending