Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

100 Tory MP's call for an EU vote before 2015 and want leadership contest Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/388...emands-100-MPs

100 MP's have demanded an EU vote before 2015 and 25 have demanded a leadership vote (they need 46)

Sources claimed 25 of the 46 MPs needed to trigger a leadership contest had written to Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 Committee of backbenchers, asking for a vote of no confi dence in Mr Cameron.

SO if crushed in the May elections will a contest be called and will they get an EU vote
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good for them, since there's not a chance that the Liberal Democrats or most of Labour will support them however it's rather pointless.

Good, Cameron will probably win (Gove or May would likely lose an election and would not stand against him anyway) and with a fresh mandate he may well put his back benches in line.

For those who don't like Cameron and want to berate the EU its far better to have Cameron in charge than go to war against him in a contest that will probably result in him winning and giving them much less free reign than now.

ReputationRep:
    The madness of the right wing fringe of Tory MPs knows no bounds. They did this to John Major in the 1990s, and meant that after bringing the UK out of a recession where unemployment, house repossessions and business closures were worse even than this current one, into a situation where inflation was low, the housing market had recovered, unemployment was on a fast downward trajectory and the economy was on the up, Major's government got seen as a joke and got smashed out of sight in the 1997 election.

Now they have got Cameron in their sights and by the looks of all the sniping a lot want to take Osborne down too (Osborne himself is quite right wing so I can only imagine there is some personal vendettas going on where Osborne has made enemies in the camp).

I bet I know what is going to happen though, none of these will have the balls to come forwards and actually challenge Cameron. All they will do is use these press briefings to undermine him. The right wing of the Tory party is so twisted, it is more concerned with scuppering those of its own, than it cares about its electoral chances, they will undermine Cameron in a way that Ed Miliband never could, and ensure that he is brought down at the next election. We will have a Labour government but it will be mission accomplished for the Tory right because they will have spoilt the party for Cameron.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The madness of the right wing fringe of Tory MPs knows no bounds. They did this to John Major in the 1990s, and meant that after bringing the UK out of a recession where unemployment, house repossessions and business closures were worse even than this current one, into a situation where inflation was low, the housing market had recovered, unemployment was on a fast downward trajectory and the economy was on the up, Major's government got seen as a joke and got smashed out of sight in the 1997 election.

Now they have got Cameron in their sights and by the looks of all the sniping a lot want to take Osborne down too (Osborne himself is quite right wing so I can only imagine there is some personal vendettas going on where Osborne has made enemies in the camp).

I bet I know what is going to happen though, none of these will have the balls to come forwards and actually challenge Cameron. All they will do is use these press briefings to undermine him. The right wing of the Tory party is so twisted, it is more concerned with scuppering those of its own, than it cares about its electoral chances, they will undermine Cameron in a way that Ed Miliband never could, and ensure that he is brought down at the next election. We will have a Labour government but it will be mission accomplished for the Tory right because they will have spoilt the party for Cameron.
    Yup, without checking the voting records i imagine these are the same people that voted against gay marriage as well.

Surprisingly Osbourne and Hunt are supposed to be two of the most socially liberal Tories out there (Hunt once said if it was upto him the HOL would be fully elected and Osbourne pushed for the gay marriage policy) so i'd suggest it's more of a traditional vs liberal/modern battle emerging and that's why Osbourne is being targeted (in addition to his economic failure).

The only option for Cameron to stop this in my opinion is to face them head on, either he does a Major "put up, or shut up" or should make an example by removing a handful from the Tory whip and making it very clear that if your a Tory MP you will vote in line with the current Tory governments policy but maybe i'm a bit too head on in this regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The only option for Cameron to stop this in my opinion is to face them head on, either he does a Major "put up, or shut up" or should make an example by removing a handful from the Tory whip and making it very clear that if your a Tory MP you will vote in line with the current Tory governments policy but maybe i'm a bit too head on in this regard.
    Yes this is what Major didn't do with his 'put up or shut up'. It was a brave decision to call them out in the open, but other than Redwood, none of them had the balls to put up, but they didn't shut up either, and Major was too tolerant to shut down dissent.

Cameron would get respect if he acted tough and removed the whip from the trouble makers. That would force the hand of those that didn't like it - they could challenge him, take him on head to head, and if they lose, Cameron would emerge with his position strengthened.

This kind of infighting and undermining corrodes a government, it happened to Major, and it happened to Labour too - in that case it was more obviously centred around a faction leader (Brown), in the Tory case it tends to be more in the shadows.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from BoJo, who is quite busy and has no seat in Parliament, who is ready to lead? Certainly nobody in the party is as popular as Boris, or has anywhere near the same level of media profile.

Can we really see Theresa May or Michael Gove as PM? I can't.

We certainly can't have Osborne - the public - rightly or wrongly - hate him.

Nor can we have Hague - he's already tried and failed to lead the party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Aside from BoJo, who is quite busy and has no seat in Parliament, who is ready to lead? Certainly nobody in the party is as popular as Boris, or has anywhere near the same level of media profile.

Can we really see Theresa May or Michael Gove as PM? I can't.

We certainly can't have Osborne - the public - rightly or wrongly - hate him.

Nor can we have Hague - he's already tried and failed to lead the party.
    Now Hague i'd disagree there, he oozes that Prime Ministerial feeling so he could lead again however i'm not sure whether his wider views have moderated or whether he'd just run on bashing Europe like 2001.

ReputationRep:
    Now Hague i'd disagree there, he oozes that Prime Ministerial feeling so he could lead again however i'm not sure whether his wider views have moderated or whether he'd just run on bashing Europe like 2001.
    Europe is pretty unpopular now. Maybe that would work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Yes this is what Major didn't do with his 'put up or shut up'. It was a brave decision to call them out in the open, but other than Redwood, none of them had the balls to put up, but they didn't shut up either, and Major was too tolerant to shut down dissent.

Cameron would get respect if he acted tough and removed the whip from the trouble makers. That would force the hand of those that didn't like it - they could challenge him, take him on head to head, and if they lose, Cameron would emerge with his position strengthened.

This kind of infighting and undermining corrodes a government, it happened to Major, and it happened to Labour too - in that case it was more obviously centred around a faction leader (Brown), in the Tory case it tends to be more in the shadows.
    Yes, that Adam guy in the paper is the Redwood here, easily dealt with but the wrong person to deal with.

Yes, he'd certainly be looked upon much more highly by me if he did this. Paint his enemies as the ones being disloyal and damaging.

Yes, the Tories are a party full of predators.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Europe is pretty unpopular now. Maybe that would work.
    It's possible however most people don't hate Europe, they just have a mild dislike and don't really know much. I'm not convinced that the sentiment is hard enough to win an election with.

ReputationRep:
    "Home Secretary Theresa May is seen by many as a serious contender to take over as prime minister."

Urgh, please no.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Redolent)
    "Home Secretary Theresa May is seen by many as a serious contender to take over as prime minister."

Urgh, please no.
    Don't agree with her politically on some issues but she is competent, with that said however i can't see her winning an election even if she becomes leader.

ReputationRep:
    Don't agree with her politically on some issues but she is competent, with that said however i can't see her winning an election even if she becomes leader.
    She's too socially authoritarian. But yes luckily I don't think the public are too fond of her.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Redolent)
    She's too socially authoritarian. But yes luckily I don't think the public are too fond of her.
    Yes, that's why i don't agree with her conservatism. A competent cabinet minister though.

ReputationRep:
    Come on boris!

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine any leadership contest being allowed to happen before Boris is in position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.