Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an offer for 2013 entry for another course, but I'm really hoping I can swap to Classics or Ancient World at least. Can anyone tell me whether A Level Latin or Greek is an absolutely vital requirement to study Classics at UCL? I know many universities state it as a requirement but also say they will consider you if your school/college doesn't offer it. My Latin is up to GCSE standard, but I might have to start self-teaching it further over the summer...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need an A Level in Latin or Greek to do Classics. (I have an offer for the course and it says one of the requirements is an A in Latin).

Ancient World doesn't require the A Level, but it looks like you can take language units anyway once you begin the degree. So you can still study Latin/Greek even if you don't do it at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfishgirl)
    Yes, you need an A Level in Latin or Greek to do Classics. (I have an offer for the course and it says one of the requirements is an A in Latin).

Ancient World doesn't require the A Level, but it looks like you can take language units anyway once you begin the degree. So you can still study Latin/Greek even if you don't do it at A Level.
    I see, thank you! Congrats on your offer! What exactly is the difference between Classics and Latin/Greek?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessadixit)
    I see, thank you! Congrats on your offer! What exactly is the difference between Classics and Latin/Greek?
    Well Classics incorporates Latin + Greek language as well as the civilisation/history/culture of the ancient world. So there isn't a difference. Ancient World is similar, but you don't have to know any of the languages beforehand.

(I think you can study Greek or Latin alone as a degree at UCL, but I'm not sure about the course content of that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfishgirl)
    Well Classics incorporates Latin + Greek language as well as the civilisation/history/culture of the ancient world. So there isn't a difference. Ancient World is similar, but you don't have to know any of the languages beforehand.

(I think you can study Greek or Latin alone as a degree at UCL, but I'm not sure about the course content of that)
    In that case, I'll just go for Ancient World. That is if they let me! Thanks for all the info. Rep for you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.