Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    also known as a SKE! has anybody ever enrolled on one of these courses? as I'm curious to how demanding these courses are. As part of a conditional offer I am required to complete a short course of between 4 to 8 weeks in a second subject - the options being Maths, Physics, Chemistry and a MFL. As somebody who works full time it is becoming a little bit of a worry how I can complete an intense course like this with an already busy timetable.

Any information on the nature of this type of course and/or experiences would be very much welcome...

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_truth_hurts)
    also known as a SKE! has anybody ever enrolled on one of these courses? as I'm curious to how demanding these courses are. As part of a conditional offer I am required to complete a short course of between 4 to 8 weeks in a second subject - the options being Maths, Physics, Chemistry and a MFL. As somebody who works full time it is becoming a little bit of a worry how I can complete an intense course like this with an already busy timetable.

Any information on the nature of this type of course and/or experiences would be very much welcome...

Thanks.
    Hi,

I did an MFL one last August (Spanish) but it was only 2 weeks. I think they had a 4 week one at another point in the summer though.

If you're starting your PGCE in September, presumably you're leaving your full-time job at the end of August at the latest, so could you consider leaving a bit earlier in order to do an SKE in July or August if a suitable course is available?

Certainly last year students on an SKE course lasting 4 weeks or more got a bursary of around £200/week, so if it's still the case, that would significantly ease the financial cost of leaving your job early.

The course was 5 days per week, and I think we did about 9:30-3:30/4pm, so not quite full-time but still not leaving you a vast amount of spare time to do other stuff. We were often set homework or reading to do for the following day as well. Also, it depends where your course is - you might have quite a long commute or need to find accomodation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Hi,

I did an MFL one last August (Spanish) but it was only 2 weeks. I think they had a 4 week one at another point in the summer though.

If you're starting your PGCE in September, presumably you're leaving your full-time job at the end of August at the latest, so could you consider leaving a bit earlier in order to do an SKE in July or August if a suitable course is available?

Certainly last year students on an SKE course lasting 4 weeks or more got a bursary of around £200/week, so if it's still the case, that would significantly ease the financial cost of leaving your job early.

The course was 5 days per week, and I think we did about 9:30-3:30/4pm, so not quite full-time but still not leaving you a vast amount of spare time to do other stuff. We were often set homework or reading to do for the following day as well. Also, it depends where your course is - you might have quite a long commute or need to find accomodation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Thank you so much for the reply, it is much appreciated. The course is funded through the University and you are able to apply for the Bursary however I am unsure of how much funding a candidate is entitled to?

The SKE offered is through the university and is mainly delivered through online tutorials and live seminars (wouldn't be my preferred method in all honesty). There is an induction day and closing date where you are required to spend a day at the institution. If you do not mind me asking were you able to speak a foreign language before starting the SKE? My subject knowledge is in P.E. but will probably take the Maths SKE as i used to be good at it in school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_truth_hurts)
    Thank you so much for the reply, it is much appreciated. The course is funded through the University and you are able to apply for the Bursary however I am unsure of how much funding a candidate is entitled to?

The SKE offered is through the university and is mainly delivered through online tutorials and live seminars (wouldn't be my preferred method in all honesty). There is an induction day and closing date where you are required to spend a day at the institution. If you do not mind me asking were you able to speak a foreign language before starting the SKE? My subject knowledge is in P.E. but will probably take the Maths SKE as i used to be good at it in school
    Yeah, I'm a Secondary MFL trainee with a degree in French, so I was doing the SKE to brush up my Spanish so I can teach that to lower years.

Your SKE sounds very different so don't really know how that will work...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough and again thank you for your input.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.