Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I really like the Anno series and when I was on Windows systems I would always play them. Now I am on a Macbook Pro and cannot play Anno as it is released only for Windows.

I have had a look around online and there are ways of getting around it, e.g. using a 'wrapper'. The problem is I have no idea what any of these are and whether they would actually work, or are just dodgy. Additionally I have heard of 'bootcamping' but am reluctant to do that as apparently it is a nightmare and slows down your Mac quite a bit.

So essentially what I am asking is: is there a way to play Anno 2070 on OS X without bootcamping, and doing it legally and legitimately?

Thanks, (and btw I am by no means tech-savvy)

Muppet Science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Hi,

So I really like the Anno series and when I was on Windows systems I would always play them. Now I am on a Macbook Pro and cannot play Anno as it is released only for Windows.

I have had a look around online and there are ways of getting around it, e.g. using a 'wrapper'. The problem is I have no idea what any of these are and whether they would actually work, or are just dodgy. Additionally I have heard of 'bootcamping' but am reluctant to do that as apparently it is a nightmare and slows down your Mac quite a bit.

So essentially what I am asking is: is there a way to play Anno 2070 on OS X without bootcamping, and doing it legally and legitimately?

Thanks, (and btw I am by no means tech-savvy)

Muppet Science
    Three key options, two of which you've identified:
    -Use emulation software that runs Windows programs within itself as a Mac app. Wine is the most prominent and there's plenty of resources and resources out there. Their own site is a good starting point.
    -Dual boot with Windows. This involves using Apple's software Boot Camp to split your hard drive into two partitions and assign one to Windows and the other to OS X. Contrary to what you've heard, it is a relatively painless process and by only having one OS active at a time it doesn't eat up resources and slow the computer down.
    -Install Windows on a virtual machine, which is sort of like a hybrid of the above two options. Using a VM suite like Parallels, you create a version of Windows within the currently running OS X, which then runs in its own window like an application, which you can then put into full screen mode and have the two OS's running side by side. This one will result in shared resources so may not be ideal if you have a low spec'd mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Three key options, two of which you've identified:
    -Use emulation software that runs Windows programs within itself as a Mac app. Wine is the most prominent and there's plenty of resources and resources out there. Their own site is a good starting point.
    -Dual boot with Windows. This involves using Apple's software Boot Camp to split your hard drive into two partitions and assign one to Windows and the other to OS X. Contrary to what you've heard, it is a relatively painless process and by only having one OS active at a time it doesn't eat up resources and slow the computer down.
    -Install Windows on a virtual machine, which is sort of like a hybrid of the above two options. Using a VM suite like Parallels, you create a version of Windows within the currently running OS X, which then runs in its own window like an application, which you can then put into full screen mode and have the two OS's running side by side. This one will result in shared resources so may not be ideal if you have a low spec'd mac.
    Thanks, if I could be cheeky and ask which option of the above three you would recommend that would be great. As for my Mac:

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

I have no idea what that means but that may help swing decisions

Thanks again :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, if I could be cheeky and ask which option of the above three you would recommend that would be great. As for my Mac:

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

I have no idea what that means but that may help swing decisions

Thanks again :awesome:
    Dual booting is always the best course of action when possible, it doesn't have the risk of poor optimisation (for want of a better word) that you get with emulators and allows you to devote your entire system's resources to running games in high settings, although I have no idea how demanding the Anno series is. Odds are if you're going to be use the Windows partition primarily for gaming you don't really need to run both OS's simultaneously anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Dual booting is always the best course of action when possible, it doesn't have the risk of poor optimisation (for want of a better word) that you get with emulators and allows you to devote your entire system's resources to running games in high settings, although I have no idea how demanding the Anno series is. Odds are if you're going to be use the Windows partition primarily for gaming you don't really need to run both OS's simultaneously anyway.
    So you recommend using bootcamp? Sorry but I am pretty clueless at this kind of thing. Thank you again, and will rep for your troubles

ReputationRep:
    So you recommend using bootcamp? Sorry but I am pretty clueless at this kind of thing. Thank you again, and will rep for your troubles
    Yep :yy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.