Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to learn the names of the plants and how they colonised the land on the spread about succession? I read the specificication and it said to learn one example on primary succession, so I decided to make notes on only the surtsey island one, and I left the sand dune one. Is there a possibility that it'll end up coming up in the exam? I don't want to end up losing marks. http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/81028-specification.pdf
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I guess yes. You must get prepared for anything. You can alternatively, focus on one and just memorize te other a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    I guess yes. You must get prepared for anything. You can alternatively, focus on one and just memorize te other a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Both of them are so long though. I don't know how I'm gonna memorize them. :sigh:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You can just do one example. I guess this would be a bit untidy, but you can check past papers for the one that appears most, and then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you with?

I do AQA and we've never been told to memorise a specific example, just how succession works.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    What exam board are you with?

I do AQA and we've never been told to memorise a specific example, just how succession works.
    She's doing OCR

ReputationRep:
    She's doing OCR
    D'oh how did I miss that.
    Relief for me too!

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't relevant but you guys are pretty clever so if someone could help, would be greatly appreciated

Using the "signpost language",which of these options shows that a definition is coming up?

1.We can trace this process...

2.What do we mean by...

3.The reason for this is...

4.In the same way...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Option 2, I guess. Why'd you need it?

ReputationRep:
    You can just do one example. I guess this would be a bit untidy, but you can check past papers for the one that appears most, and then go for it.
    Yeah I'm just going to learn one, and I checked past papers and succession has never come up before. So it might not even come up this year, but I'll still learn one example just in case.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by celina10)
    Yeah I'm just going to learn one, and I checked past papers and succession has never come up before. So it might not even come up this year, but I'll still learn one example just in case.
    Yeah. If you know the main theme of succession, and the bare facts behind it, you can write it pretty good in an exam with a single example, if it comes, of course.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by celina10)
    Really? Both of them are so long though. I don't know how I'm gonna memorize them. :sigh:
    The specification only asks you to remember one example, so it would probably be best if you learn the one in the OCR endorsed text books or your teacher's example. They certainly won't test you on a specific example as everyone else will have learned different ones, they may however ask you on specific aspects common to all examples. I'd quickly go over the summary questions/end of chapter questions in the text books to be on the safe side.

What they can also do in the exam, is give you a specific example which you haven't learned or even seen before, and they may test you on your knowledge of succession based on their example. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    The specification only asks you to remember one example, so it would probably be best if you learn the one in the OCR endorsed text books or your teacher's example. They certainly won't test you on a specific example as everyone else will have learned different ones, they may however ask you on specific aspects common to all examples. I'd quickly go over the summary questions/end of chapter questions in the text books to be on the safe side.

What they can also do in the exam, is give you a specific example which you haven't learned or even seen before, and they may test you on your knowledge of succession based on their example. Best of luck
    Yeah you're right, I checked the end of chapter question and they gave a totally different example of succession and they just asked question based on it.

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.