The Student Room Group

Starting from Scratch

Hello fellow TSR members!

I am currently doing a two year A level course with 3 A Levels and 3 AS' due to be sat between mid May and mid June. I am doing Economics, RS and Geography (Already got an A in EPQ)

My teachers have effectively been useless all year and I find myself literally knowing nothing. I have little effective class notes throughout the year and bombed my mocks - got ABC, although I did very little revision.

ABC for some people might be OK, but I wish to emphasis I need a minimum of AAA to study Law at UNI.

So basically I want to ask a number of things.

1) Should I revise more for AS, so that my overall UMS is higher (its easier to do well in AS than A2)

2) How long should it take me roughly to make notes for AS and A2 and revise them in order to get AAA

3) Anyone else felt like they can learn the A Level syllabus with a textbook and past papers and that teachers are useless!!!
Original post by SimpleTom
Hello fellow TSR members!

I am currently doing a two year A level course with 3 A Levels and 3 AS' due to be sat between mid May and mid June. I am doing Economics, RS and Geography (Already got an A in EPQ)

My teachers have effectively been useless all year and I find myself literally knowing nothing. I have little effective class notes throughout the year and bombed my mocks - got ABC, although I did very little revision.

ABC for some people might be OK, but I wish to emphasis I need a minimum of AAA to study Law at UNI.

So basically I want to ask a number of things.

1) Should I revise more for AS, so that my overall UMS is higher (its easier to do well in AS than A2)

2) How long should it take me roughly to make notes for AS and A2 and revise them in order to get AAA

3) Anyone else felt like they can learn the A Level syllabus with a textbook and past papers and that teachers are useless!!!

You're doing 3 AS and 3 A2 exams? Does this mean you're sitting around 12-13 exams all in all? Or?

1) You're better off checking how much the AS weighs towards your final grade and your A2. But by focusing more on your AS (taking into consideration that A2 is usually significantly harder) you will be bringing down your grade, because even if you get an A at AS and then you get a C/D in A2, that will bring down your overall. So I would pay more attention to A2 since they are harder and are more likely going to mess up your grade.

2) Oh wow, if your exams are in a month and a bit then you should start today! I don't know your pace but if you can get yourself to study everyday then I suggest spent these holidays just making notes and really understanding the content, then give yourself a week for each subject to finish ALL the past papers.

3) To be honest, I think most students here are pretty independent and seem to be learning things themselves, so yes it is more than possible. You can always ask here for help if you don't understand a certain topic. But it is possible. I'm self teaching Maths, and I think I'm doing better than people who are learning it at my college, because yes the teachers at my college are efficiently useless, too.
Reply 2
Original post by nukethemaly
You're doing 3 AS and 3 A2 exams? Does this mean you're sitting around 12-13 exams all in all? Or?

1) You're better off checking how much the AS weighs towards your final grade and your A2. But by focusing more on your AS (taking into consideration that A2 is usually significantly harder) you will be bringing down your grade, because even if you get an A at AS and then you get a C/D in A2, that will bring down your overall. So I would pay more attention to A2 since they are harder and are more likely going to mess up your grade.

2) Oh wow, if your exams are in a month and a bit then you should start today! I don't know your pace but if you can get yourself to study everyday then I suggest spent these holidays just making notes and really understanding the content, then give yourself a week for each subject to finish ALL the past papers.

3) To be honest, I think most students here are pretty independent and seem to be learning things themselves, so yes it is more than possible. You can always ask here for help if you don't understand a certain topic. But it is possible. I'm self teaching Maths, and I think I'm doing better than people who are learning it at my college, because yes the teachers at my college are efficiently useless, too.

I have 12 exams in total I think. 4 of my exams are on the first 2 days! Which is annoying, but I am predicted A*AAa if that helps. I was a last minute guy with GCSES despite being predicted bad grades and did well in them, I am just really worried that I cannot do the same with A levels, and that I need to actually understand the material rather than relay information and I simply don't know the best way to approach revision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending