Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying the first year of a History degree and I'm not enjoying it and want to switch to a Japanese degree.

My A Levels weren't good enough to apply so I applied hoping they would consider my CertHE as meeting the entry requirements, but unfortunately they didn't and rejected me.

It seems my only real option if I want to change degrees is to do an Access Course, but I've just read that from September 2013 these will cost around £3000.

As I'm 21 I wouldn't even get a loan until I'm 24+, and as I already have A Levels and the first year of a degree there's no way I'd get the course funded either.

There is no way I am going to find £3000 without a loan. It seems really unfair that they have put the fees up so much that anyone who wants to do an Access course under the age of 24 is financially restricted from doing so unless they have no A Levels.

Considering my circumstances, is there any cheaper alternative to Access to HE or am I just going to have to accept the fact that I have been priced out of doing an Access to HE course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    I am currently studying the first year of a History degree and I'm not enjoying it and want to switch to a Japanese degree.

My A Levels weren't good enough to apply so I applied hoping they would consider my CertHE as meeting the entry requirements, but unfortunately they didn't and rejected me.

It seems my only real option if I want to change degrees is to do an Access Course, but I've just read that from September 2013 these will cost around £3000.

As I'm 21 I wouldn't even get a loan until I'm 24+, and as I already have A Levels and the first year of a degree there's no way I'd get the course funded either.

There is no way I am going to find £3000 without a loan. It seems really unfair that they have put the fees up so much that anyone who wants to do an Access course under the age of 24 is financially restricted from doing so unless they have no A Levels.

Considering my circumstances, is there any cheaper alternative to Access to HE or am I just going to have to accept the fact that I have been priced out of doing an Access to HE course?
    You could self teach yourself some A levels and try and get some good grades in them, sitting exams as a private candidate.

As you're 21 you're classed as a mature student. Somewhere like Birkbeck (UofL) don't require 21+ to have certain grades etc. Then go on experiences etc. So you could start learning japanese (or another language) in your own time (even a language at A Level?) which will show your commitment to studying japanese, and will also show you have the ability to study languages.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You have already asked this question in another thread, a lot of people responded and gave you advice, there's no point asking the same question again because you will get the same answers.

In your last thread I said you should contact the universities you're interested in and ask them whether they would consider your application once you have actually completed the CertHE, have you done that yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.